Options

Help! 70-290 Press Book 2nd Ed Chapter 4 Exercise 1 (p4-13)

WarpigWarpig Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working on 70-290 Press Book 2nd Edition Chapter 4 Exercise 1 (p4-13)

I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong because I'm not getting the result the book says I should. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's the exercise...

Exercise 1: Nesting Group Membership

1. Raise functional level to Windows Server 2003... Done...

2. Create global groups in Users OU: Group1/2/3... Done...

3. Create user accounts User1/2/3... Done...

4. Put users User1/2/3 into Group1... Done...

5. Put group1 into group2... Done...

The question after 5 asks... Which groups can you convert into universal groups?
You should be able to convert 2 of the 3 groups (group1/2/3) without error.

I expect that converting group1 should bomb because it is a member of another Global group (group2)

I then attempt to convert all three groups to Security-Universal from Security-Global and expect an error on group1 but all three convert fine. Am I doing something wrong?

Nick

Comments

• Options
    WarpigWarpig Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OOPS... forget it... Sorry, I'm an Idiot... I figured it out.

After doing this exercise 3 times and getting the same result, I thought it through a little more.

The book doesn't say what order to try to convert the groups in. The first three times going through this I converted 3 then 2 then 1. No Problem. Group1 is supposed to show the error... but it didnt for me because I converted 2 before it so 2 was no longer a global group but a universal group. Of course then 1 converted ok also. If I would have started at 1 then 2 then 3 1 would have (and I verified) errored like the book intended because 2 was still a global group.

Sorry didnt mean to waste anyones time on this.

Nick