Options

70-290 - Missing topics from course??

millhouse001millhouse001 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I recently did the 2273b 5 day course and not sure if this is enough to take the exam? I'm under the impression that two important topics were not on this course which may appear in the exam, these being IIS and Printers?

Could anyone please advise as dont want to book exam to find I am not ready? Also if it's true I need these, then where can I find info to read up on them? Any suggestions on books / websites would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If all you did was attend a 5 day course then you are not ready.

Did you do any self study? Do you have any experience? Have you taken a practice exam or two to gauge your current understanding?

If you have done all of the above AND taken the 2273b AND it was taught by a qualified instructor, then you may be ready.

Good luck. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IIS and Printers are both topics in the books I'm reading, the CBT Nuggets Im watching, and the Trancenders I've taken...fyi
  • Options
    millhouse001millhouse001 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    If all you did was attend a 5 day course then you are not ready.

Did you do any self study? Do you have any experience? Have you taken a practice exam or two to gauge your current understanding?

If you have done all of the above AND taken the 2273b AND it was taught by a qualified instructor, then you may be ready.

Good luck. icon_cool.gif

Cheers for the reply. Yes the instructor was fully qualified and we did the self study's in the course book on the virtual machines in the labs. I work in IT Support so am familiar with most of the stuff. Use AD every day and administor file/folder permissions.

What do you suggest the next course of action is? Apologies, I'm a virgin to this so any help is much appriciated!
  • Options
    MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The below link is to Microsoft's Preparation Guide for Exam 70-290. This tells you what each MOC course covers and which MOC courses cover subject areas in this exam and if they do whether it is in enough detail for the exam.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ...and be careful what book you pick up. Im reading a Sybex book for 290 right now that barely whispers the phrase DNS.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I have taken the "official" Microsoft course myself and done the exam, I can say you are not ready for the exam.

Microsoft official classes do not prepare you to write the exam.

I am still shocked that the official classes left out critical topics like IIS and terminal services.

SUS is treated like an after thought it's not funny.

The class themselves are good for beginners who has no experience with Windows 2003 servers, but if you have experience with Windows 2003 then these courses are a waste of time.

I used one of the Que books to prepare for the exam.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    brad- wrote:
    ...and be careful what book you pick up. Im reading a Sybex book for 290 right now that barely whispers the phrase DNS.

I thought DNS was mostly a 291 topic?
  • Options
    GUI_MessGUI_Mess Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought DNS was mostly a 291 topic?

I did a trainer led course for a week, went through all the CBT Nugget videos for 70-290 and neither of them mentioned DNS. It was only due to catching a couple of questions on the transcenders and **** PDF i have that i realised i would have to brush up on DNS
    Passed
    70-270 (747)
    70-290 (857)

Next:
    Network+
    Server+
    70-291
  • Options
    KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    I have taken the "official" Microsoft course myself and done the exam, I can say you are not ready for the exam.

Microsoft official classes do not prepare you to write the exam.

I am still shocked that the official classes left out critical topics like IIS and terminal services.

SUS is treated like an after thought it's not funny.

The class themselves are good for beginners who has no experience with Windows 2003 servers, but if you have experience with Windows 2003 then these courses are a waste of time.

I used one of the Que books to prepare for the exam.

I agree totally with you. But in my case I have to read the whole courses from the MSCE track because I'll have to be the instructor for those courses in the company I work for. And the worst thing is that my boss thinks that they're just enough to write the exams. Damn, some courses provide good information, practices and laboratories but still aren't quite good.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GUI_Mess wrote:
    I did a trainer led course for a week, went through all the CBT Nugget videos for 70-290 and neither of them mentioned DNS. It was only due to catching a couple of questions on the transcenders and xxxxxxxxxx PDF i have that i realised i would have to brush up on DNS

whatever that PDF is that youre using, stop using it...Its garbage.

and no, there is not much DNS on 290; id be looking for it on 291. I had the same questions, and the exam objectives don't really mention anything DNS.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security