Options

Any advice....A+ Essentials Exam

pwatsonpwatson Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,I'm new to this forum. I took a course at a computer school for A+ Essentials. I studied real hard and took the test this week and failed. To get a feel for different variations of the test I took all types of practice exams, etc.... I feel as if I learned more from the practice exams then I did with my coursework. I want to take the exam again at the end of the month while everything is still fresh in my mind. I feel a bit discouraged from failing the test this week. I was ready to give up and then I found your site which seems like it has a huge amount of information.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Pam

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My recommendation would be to go through all of the tech notes on this site and get as much hands on experience as you can. I personally found real world experience to be the best study guide for the exam.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    undomiel wrote:
    My recommendation would be to go through all of the tech notes on this site and get as much hands on experience as you can. I personally found real world experience to be the best study guide for the exam.

+1

The exam is geared toward candidates WITH experience....something that keyboard warriors tend to minimize across the forums because so many seem to 'want' that next certification. The downside with attidutes as such is that the intended purpose of the certifications becomes clouded.

And, people fail tech exams....not a huge deal. Sucks when it's you, but fact is some very smart people have failed. So you'll take it again...and pass and move forward.

-Download the objectives
    -Review the TechNotes here
    -What sort of books are you reviewing? Meyers and Sybex (IMHO) are the best reliable source....just my opinion.
    -Read white papers
    -Build a lab if your hands-on experience is limited
    -Volunteer/shadow techs to learn more
    -Interact on the forum

You'll get it. It takes work, but you'll appreciate the work you do to get there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    chrisdugganchrisduggan Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jump onto http://wikipedia.org/ and research some of the bits you are not so confident with, print them out and using a highlighter pen mark relevant articles.
    That helped me :)

Let us know how you get on
  • Options
    hnguyen11033hnguyen11033 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please don't give up. No one is perfect. Used it as a learning experience. Study your weaknesses, and when you are confident, go nail the sucker!
    pwatson wrote:
    Hi,I'm new to this forum. I took a course at a computer school for A+ Essentials. I studied real hard and took the test this week and failed. To get a feel for different variations of the test I took all types of practice exams, etc.... I feel as if I learned more from the practice exams then I did with my coursework. I want to take the exam again at the end of the month while everything is still fresh in my mind. I feel a bit discouraged from failing the test this week. I was ready to give up and then I found your site which seems like it has a huge amount of information.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Pam