Options

Dynagen - Getting online

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
Hey guys,
I recently installed Dynagen to get some practice.

Everything works great, I've got a few routers going, but I can't get them to access the internet. I can ping my local dfg fine, but can't hop past that.

I've got a home router as well, so I figured that maybe the home router was getting confused and didn't know where to route the packets... I tried creating a static route on the home router, which would point to my computer (but use my dynagen interfaces IP), but it wouldn't allow it.

I then tried to NAT my internet interface on the virtual router and set it to the IP of my PC, but that didn't work either.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• Options
    After thinking about it more, It can't be a routing issue, considering I can ping the DFG fine and it knows how to get back.

If I was trying to ping an external IP, shouldn't it be NAT'd just like all other devices on my network??
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some SOHO routers won't NAT addresses that are outside of the subnet the inside interface is configured for. If you are trying to source the ping packets from an interface that is not on this subnet it may fail. If you are sourcing the ping packets from an address that is not on the subnet that the router's inside interface is on you will need at a minimum a route to the source on the SOHO router.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks for the response.

The IP assigned to the int on the router is in the same subnet, and out of the DHCP range. I also had it pick up an address using DHCP, which worked fine, but the same results occurred.

In both situations I was able to ping the DFG (192.168.11.1)
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,

what modem or edge router do you have for the internet connection?
    does it support dynamic routing for the inside interface?

you can try to put another router first (must be dynamic routing capable) before your "WAN" go straight to the modem/edge router.

internet ----> modem/edge router ----> (NATed) another router (dynamic routing) ---> WAN.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.