Options

CCNP Lab Books

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone here use any lab books? I can dream up stuff, but sometimes I wonder if my scenarios provide all the exposure I need to be truly master these topics. I'm not interested in just passing these tests. I want to OWN this material. Just curious I guess.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try configuring the scenarios in Caslow, Doyle and Solie and Hutnik and Saterlee. There are also many configurations you can copy in the technology guides on CCO. You should find those educational. Stood me in good stead over the years.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:
    Try configuring the scenarios in Caslow, Doyle and Solie and Hutnik and Saterlee. There are also many configurations you can copy in the technology guides on CCO. You should find those educational. Stood me in good stead over the years.

Yep, I definitely hold Doyle on a pedestal right now. He is currently my god. The others I haven't heard of. Are these CCIE Professional Development books like Doyle's?
  • Options
    CCIE_2011CCIE_2011 Member Posts: 134
    You can try CCNP practical studies. I honestly used only switching book in this series. The switching guide is very informative. But since it is quite old, many topic are not included.
    I really disliked the Lab portfolio for BCMSN. i believe 90% of the book pages are lost because of showing the full output of each command used, which is really really not necessary. I really hate this. It just drive me crazy.

At the end, My comments are just regarding The switching part :)
    . : | : . : | : .
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    i would like to know also which books are these...i just ordered doyles book
    and the lab portfolio for bsci and bcmsn. .....any other suggestions with isbn please :)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:

Yep, I definitely hold Doyle on a pedestal right now. He is currently my god. The others I haven't heard of. Are these CCIE Professional Development books like Doyle's?

Reading things like Doyle is the way to go. There is far less reading going on these days by too many candidates so far as I can see.

You never heard of Bruce Caslow Bridges Routers and Switches for CCIEs? Do yourself a favour and buy it used on amazon for the price of a happy meal. This was stock in trade reading when I started out. Almost forgotten now as more people use vendor labs.

Karl Solie is the author of the Cisco Press CCIE Practical Studies Volume 1 and Volume 2. Excellent reading and hands on practicals. If you are reading Doyle doing these labs will put things into context for you. Again almost forgotten now as more people use vendor labs.

Hutnik and Saterlee authored the All In One CCIE study guide. Again check it on amazon. Many useful small scale labs in there. Kept me fully occupied in spring 2002 when I could only afford a few routers.

These are all gems and used less and less these days thanks to the plethora of shiny vendor materials and written ****. Fill your shelf with these useful books.
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks alot man. :D
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks alot man. :D

No worries. Workbooks, CoDs, VoDs, CBTs all have their place but nothing really beats long hours with big books like these, a rack of equipment and plenty of time scratching your head trying to understand how to get something to actually work. Back in the day this was the process and it's stood me and many other people in good stead for certification and in the field. I found the use of these books tailing off as subject matter came off the lab and new things came in. Looking back I think many people are drawn into chasing the latest thing and miss out on a great learning opportunity by moving away from core texts. Address summarization, split horizon and fun with IP classless and OSPF over NBMA hasn't gone away. Those books are full of classic examples of this sort of thing so don't miss out. Lab prep is a bad time to learn you don't really understand these things.

I hope you like these books. I sure found them useful and still use them today.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I.E WB1 is a good lab book for CCNP. Know the core routing and switching by reading about theory then reinforce it with labs. Dont read just cisco press books but get outside knowledge on the subject as well.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    kryolla wrote:
    Dont read just cisco press books but get outside knowledge on the subject as well.

A wide range of reading matter is always good. Caslow is one example and there are others, Hutnik and Saterlee, Stevens, Perlman, Stallings, Parker et al.
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    ...nice now i'm shopping again :)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I found the following lab practice kit by Satterlee and Hutnik and for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I just thought I'd share!

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCIE-Lab-Practice-Kit/dp/007212766X/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210357102&sr=1-27

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    redwarrior wrote:
    I found the following lab practice kit by Satterlee and Hutnik
    I liked Satterlee and Hutnik's Osborne/McGrawHill All-In-One Cisco CCIE LAB Study Guide (2nd Edition) from 2001. Just skip the ISDN, ATM, IPX, AppleTalk, Catalyst 5000 Switches, and DLSW Chapters. The IPSec, Voice, and MPLS chapters should be helpful for the current CCNP exams.

I actually still keep it on the shelf with the Cisco Press Books, next to the CCIE Practical Studies and CCIE Practice Labs books. This and Caslow/Pavlichenko are the only 2 non-Cisco Press books that get this honor.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    redwarrior wrote:
    I found the following lab practice kit by Satterlee and Hutnik
    I liked Satterlee and Hutnik's Osborne/McGrawHill All-In-One Cisco CCIE LAB Study Guide (2nd Edition) from 2001. Just skip the ISDN, ATM, IPX, AppleTalk, Catalyst 5000 Switches, and DLSW Chapters. The IPSec, Voice, and MPLS chapters should be helpful for the current CCNP exams.

I actually still keep it on the shelf with the Cisco Press Books, next to the CCIE Practical Studies and CCIE Practice Labs books. This and Caslow/Pavlichenko are the only 2 non-Cisco Press books that get this honor.

Very true. I have all these on my shelf as well. They were produced back in the day and while some content is now offtopic the remainder is still worth it.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    redwarrior wrote:
    I found the following lab practice kit by Satterlee and Hutnik and for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I just thought I'd share!

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCIE-Lab-Practice-Kit/dp/007212766X/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210357102&sr=1-27

Nice link. I grabbed a copy since they're so cheap. Looks like an oldie but goodie.