Options

RIS Install Question(Discussion)

NERVNERV Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
So I started to do a RIS install using the basic cd images risetup creates.
I used risetup twice, once for windows 2k adv server and one for win xp pro. My question is this: I created an answer file using the setupmgr both from the deploy.cab of win2k and also winxp. I renamed the files both to winnt.sif. I then copied the files to the image folders in the \I386 and also the \I386\System32 folder.
The unattended installations are not working.
Is it possible to use a unattended installation file with a cd based image?
I used a workaround and took the file ristndrd.sif from the \i386\templates and \i386 folder in the cd images and edited them with my data from my personalized winnt.sif and threw them back into their directories and it seemed to work, But I am wondering if there is an easier way to do this so I can use my own files rather than edit the ristndrd.sif?
Or am I just missing something here?
________
NERV
________

Comments

• Options
    spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While I am no expert, about to go for my 70-210.

I believe you have to associate the answer with the RIS image using the Active Directory snap-in.

- Open Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
    - Right-click the RIS server, then select Properties.
    - Select the Remote Install tab.
    - Click Advanced Settings.
    - Select the Images tab, then click Add.
    - Select the "Associate a new answer file to an existing image" check box, then click Next.
    - Select "An alternate location," to select where to copy the answer file from, then click Next.
    - Select the installation image that you want to use for the new answer file, then click Next.
    Enter the location of the answer file that you want to copy, then click Next.
    If the file already exists on the target server, you'll need to enter a new name for the new answer file, then click Next.
    Enter a friendly description and name for the new installation option, then click Next.
    Click Finish.

Taken from http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/40986/40986.html
    THANK YOU!
    That was most helpful! You are right on target with that!
    This is kind of frustrating as I am not using transcender or any press books.
    I paid a company with access to this material to give me the material online. So far most of everything is not listed for what I need. The material is falling short of needed answers.
    ________
    NERV
    ________
  • Options
    PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    Do yourself a favor and pick up the MS Press training kits - they are worth the money and make a good reference set after the exams. I still refer to them for real world quirks that sneak up from time to time.

Great answer, btw, spicc7 icon_wink.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • Options
    spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif thx!