Options

Exam scheduled: BSCI

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
I finally took the dive. I scheduled my BSCI exam for April 15th, as a way to push myself to really study. To be totally honest, I am nowhere near ready at the moment, but an impending date should push me. I have a lot going on around the April/May timeframe (including sending my vehicle/all my household goods back to the mainland, and moving to a new post in may), so I may need a second go, but I am going to arrive expecting to pass the first try.

I'm looking forward to it pass or fail. I'll either walk out of there with a pass, or take it 2 weeks later and pass..either way...I'm moving forward.

Hope to be posting more in the CCNP forums as my study progresses. I've got a lot of experience configuring very odd scenarios, but I need to really hit the books more than I have been. Currently reading the Cisco Press BSCI study guide, then will follow with TCP/IP Routing Volume I. I generally stop mid-chapter to apply the stuff I've learned to actual routers, as a method of learning the stuff better.

We will see!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! Don't forget to hit up the Docs as there is a lot of vital information contained in them. Also its free so can't go wrong with that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that. For technologies I'm a bit unsure of, I've been trying to make it a habit of using the online Cisco Docs. I am ordering the Doc DVD as well, since during my moving and whatnot, I will only have my laptop, as most of my belongings will be in transit to my next duty station. Plus, once the CCNP is completed, I intend on heading towards the CCIE. It's a long way away, but every journey starts somewhere...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist

..Just noticed that's your signature..that is one of my favorite quotes in regards to this field.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    Good luck!
    Dont forget to do some Multicast labs.
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Good luck !!! hey networker what free docs???
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    best of luck :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cdad2000 wrote:
    Good luck !!! hey networker what free docs???

www.cisco.com/univercd

Everything under the Cisco sun is there. They are moving it to the support site:

http://www.cisco.com/web/psa/products/index.html
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Cisco Docs

For all your Cisco needs icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cucumber wrote:
    Good luck!
    Dont forget to do some Multicast labs.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I think this weekend's project might be doing multicast labs to change things up. I appreciate the good luck's by everyone. I have about 45 minutes till I really have to get ready for work, so I'm going to knock some reading out.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco Docs

For all your Cisco needs icon_wink.gif

Your one stop shop for knowledge! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck man. I'm right behind ya, although I'm never ballsy enough to schedule the exam unless I'm ready to walk in and take it right then. Been having trouble finding study time these last couple days. Still haven't got to play with route-maps.... icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    Truthfully, I'm behind you as of right now. I do best under pressure, and after scheduling the exam yesterday, I hit the library today and didn't take my eyes away from the BSCI pages for a good couple of hours. It was a solid learning time...not one interruption besides the little bugs driving me crazy..last time I sit near a window..

It is official..two weeks after I sit the BSCI, I'm leaving Hawaii, starting a new job (er, assignment), so..I'm afraid if I wait till after the move, I'll be lazy, and forget a lot of stuff. I figure, what's $150 to give it my best shot. The alternative is being lazy. I'd rather try hard, fail, and know I gave it my best, than sit back and make an excuse.

We'll see. I am taking a small break from "big" labs, and hitting the books until Friday. This weekend I am going to give my first shot at multicast labs. I have done very, very basic multicast in a real environment, but nothing crazy. It'll be vaguely familiar.

If I get off work early tomorrow (very possible), I intend on hitting the library again. I feel if I maintain this pace I will have no trouble. Just have to stay motivated.

cisco_trooper..when are you taking your BSCI? I can't imagine you'd be taking it much later than I..you seem to have a pretty good grasp on things.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck. Make sure to pay attention to multicast and really learn the routing protocols and how they work. Dynamips is more than sufficient for the BSCI.

I also pick up the pace when I know I've got an exam scheduled. I'm taking the ISCW next Friday so I've been spending eight hours a day or so studying. I only gave myself a month to get through this one, lets hope it was enough time icon_confused.gif

What are your general study habits? Do you read much? watch training videos? hands on experience?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    For the CCNA, and now the BSCI..I've always learned best hands on. Generally, this is my routine...

1) Browse over some CBT nuggets..get a feel for what I'm doing. I watch both CCNP and CCIE nuggets, since I find the CCIE ones move at a good pace for me. Plus, I want to not just pass, but learn all I can.

2) I then read the book, and occasionally stop to open up dynamips, and apply the concepts I'm reading about.

If I'm not at the computer (such as the library), I take notes on all of the key information..which is a lot. I don't intend on ever reading the notes again, but writing it makes me think about it more. What are your study habits paul? I'm kind of curious. Lately I've been trying some new techniques.

Just got word this morning I'm going to work for the Defense Intel Agency in a couple of months in a support role. I don't know if I'll be doing more server admin type stuff or networking, but either way, that makes my BSCI that much more important. It'd look really good to walk in at least having that out of the way.

I'm sure a month is enough for the ISCW. I knew a guy who was decent with hands on application, but could study his butt off, and took it in like 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    cisco_trooper..when are you taking your BSCI? I can't imagine you'd be taking it much later than I..you seem to have a pretty good grasp on things.

I think I'm looking at late March, but like I said, I won't schedule it until it's go time. I'll be thrilled to have it done before April with the way work is going right now...
  • Options
    I know how that goes. My goal was to complete BSCI and BCMSN by June...looks like I might miss it by a month..at least.
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    where did you order that DVD? i can't seem to find it
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    composite is in my line of sight for july-august.... gl bro
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    http://www.cisco.com/go/marketplace/ for the DocDVD.

Good luck with the composite. I'd like to take it, but I need a lot more Layer 2 hands on before attempting BCMSN, let alone the composite.

Had another good study session at the library. Spent a couple of hours there. I think tomorrow I will begin on multicasting, and not be done with it till probably sunday. It will only take two days of reading/note taking, but I might even read the multicasting chapter twice, based on everyone's recommendations. That and doing the labs as well.