Cisco Bootcamps

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hello everbody,

Any recommedations on a Cisco Boot Camp. My employer will reimburse, so I should take advantage. I looking for something in the Tri-state area. Thanks!

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    be careful, my boss went to one, passed the tests, but I don't think he learned much. It was 3 weeks long for CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    i agree...most bot camps are there to help you pass....not to help you KNOW your stuff, but i could be wrong.....
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    I just can't see how you could thoroughly grasp these technologies in a month. I've been studying BSCI for a month and don't know every detail.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Right, that's too much information in little time. I'm gonna stick with self-study. Thanks for your help everybody.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be careful with bootcamps. Some of them are just cert mills with little emphasis on real learning. Someone I know at work just cleared CCNA after spending a few days on one of them. The instructor read the paper while the class worked through cheat4sure ****. The person attending said 'its not just memorising answers as without background you wouldn't understand the material.'..yeah well I doubt he would have passed without the material they 'learned' in the bootcamp. He doesn't believe in certification, seeing it as a con by the vendors to extort money out of people to memorise stuff they will forget six months down the line.. but the company was paying and is encouraging people to get qualified so off he went and now he has his cert at the second time of trying.

Not all bootcamps are like this, but a lot are. The ones that promise to deliver certification passes are often more inclined to teach to the test than answer your questions on 'real world' application with way too much cramming going on.
    I had good experience with new horizons, they teach you from real world experience. The program I took just gave you the microsoft course books and they ran you through a microsoft lab book. We never saw any cheat4sure stuff or anything like that. I would read the books and buy more literature as well. All in all I learned a lot.
  • MaliciousRCMaliciousRC Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently at at ECPI. The class is 7 months long. I learn alot this way, not like it was when I was in the Navy and they sent you to a CCNA class for a week and expect you to get certifed.

http://www.ecpi.edu/coned/programs.cfm?prgID=2
    Don't Be Scared, Just Be Careful!
    www.MaliciousRC.com