Options

finally got it - junior network support!

Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
I finally got my Tier 2 job, as junior network support. Approximately 1 year ago, a coworker on our service desk was promoted to junior network support - this stirred up an interest of mine to learn more and move up. I work for a large US defense contractor company, who specializes in health care in Canada (go figure!).

I started out here as a Service Desk analyst in May 2006, and moved to intermediate/escalations Service Desk analyst in January 07 and learning several high profile services such as videoconferencing support. I soon started training several other analysts (we went from 2 trained analysts to 8 total) and updated our quickly aging documentation regarding the service.

I started my CCNA soon after (I had initially taken the full NetAcademy curriculum in school semesters roughly around 2002-2004), after a few months review, I got my Intro exam completed with a 900+ score. I took my time before booking ICND, and passed ICND before retirement in late October.

The hurdle between October and now, was the lack of need for network resources that our company contracts to. Within the past couple weeks, 3 network analyst positions were posted (2 intermediate, 1 junior).

I'm hoping to pass at least 2 certifications exam this year but am having a tough time deciding which ones. Hopefully the more exposure I will soon get will peak my interest in something and will point me towards something!

I'm very excited! I'd go for a celebration drink, but am on call for the Service Desk this week LOL :D

Comments

• Options
    I move over on March 10 and spend some time transitioning between the Service Desk and network team.

w00t
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Let us know how it goes.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Knives Out wrote:
    Hopefully the more exposure I will soon get will peak my interest in something and will point me towards something!

Haha, I guess I better work on my sentence construction + wording if I want to last!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's great Knives Out! icon_cool.gif:D
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats bro, I'm still waiting for our networking position to open up here at my work, they approved a new network position. I unfortunately have competition within my department from another fellow who has his CCNA. We have both worked with the department and from what I can tell they'd love to have us both on board with them. But only 1 position so it's tough. I do have about 2 years seniority on my side and a couple more certs than he does so hopefully that gives me the edge. If the other guy gets it I will have no ill feelings towards him because he is just as deserving as me. I would eventually like to see us both up there however it happens.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Iam interested to know if you hold any degree ? nice position by the way ( cisco or microsoft work) ?

good luck :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Way to work up the ladder!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    lnsomnia wrote:
    Congrats bro, I'm still waiting for our networking position to open up here at my work, they approved a new network position. I unfortunately have competition within my department from another fellow who has his CCNA. We have both worked with the department and from what I can tell they'd love to have us both on board with them. But only 1 position so it's tough. I do have about 2 years seniority on my side and a couple more certs than he does so hopefully that gives me the edge. If the other guy gets it I will have no ill feelings towards him because he is just as deserving as me. I would eventually like to see us both up there however it happens.

Wow, this is almost my exact situation.
    Ha
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    moss12 wrote:
    Iam interested to know if you hold any degree ? nice position by the way ( cisco or microsoft work) ?

good luck :D

At present, I hold a 3 year Information Technology Diploma. No degree but thinking about taking night classes for maybe a Bachelor of Business Admin.

It will be mainly Cisco work -- we have 400 endpoints in our network across the province for all the health facilities (which includes roughly 10 health regions), and pharmacies that connect to us. So, never a shortage of firewall or ASA work.

I'll also be doing some videoconferencing, VoIP, and quite possibly some server related support (our server team and network team are very hand in hand).

I had a tough time deciding to continue sticking it out and waiting, as other employees were leaving for other IT consulting companies and getting more money + benefits tossed at them, even for Service Desk positions. My main sticking point was starting all over again at the bottom of the Helpdesk totem pole.

I can't wait to learn more!!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats man.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to go....Best of luck with the new position. icon_cool.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    :D Congraulations and best of luck in your new role!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools