Options

Manage via My Computer

SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
Has anyone else noticed that Microsoft have removed the ability to right mouse click on the computer icon on the top left of the "My Computer" open window and select "manage".

You can still select manage if you right click on My Computer on the desktop or start menu, but its gone from the active windows.

I was getting over it! until I just installed Server 2008 (or is that vista server) and noticed its gone from 2008 as well.

In addition to manage, you could map a network drive and disconnnect a network drive.

I guess we all do things differently, but habits are habits and I have lost count the amount of times I have clicked and found the manage option is gone icon_sad.gif

Can I still email bill@microsoft.com and complain icon_lol.gif
Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yeah I know what you mean, things have just moved around a little so you have to relearn a bit, nothing to hard but you get used to doing it one way.

Setting up a Vista Laptop the other day, wanted to conserve battery when not using certain hardware so off I went to setup a hardware profile.....

Nope, they have removed them aswell.

Anyone know the reasoning behind this?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    yes. I havenlt used Server 2008 yet but I did notice it with Vista.

I think the change would've been more resource intensive (in terms of programming Vista) than if Microsoft had left it be. It was much easier just going straight to "Manage" and Properties when a My Computer window was open such as in XP.

I wouldn't have thought Microsoft was inundated with requests to remove the functionality.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    another thing that I now cannot do is manage another server from 2008.

I often will via the "manage" console, right mouse click and select "connect to another computer" but its gone as well icon_sad.gif
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!