The best console or telnet program

mattsthe2mattsthe2 Member Posts: 304
I currently use PuTTY for telnet but it seems to hang after a while when connected via the console i have the latest version and generally do love PuTTY but i was just curious on your thoughts and what you guys prefer.....?

Comments

• bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    SecureCRT - love it
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Always used Tera Term Pro for console connections, looks a little dated now but always seems to do the trick.
  • mattsthe2mattsthe2 Member Posts: 304
    stupidboy wrote:
    Always used Tera Term Pro for console connections, looks a little dated now but always seems to do the trick.

I wanted a program that can do it all, correct me if im wrong but TeraTerm does not do telnet.

I might checkout SecureCRT
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The tabbed version of Secure CRT hands down. It's like $99 but worth every penny. Lots of options on scripting and macros also (althought I have only lightly dug ino this to automate the backups of their racks in class)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SecureCRT for sure
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    bmauro wrote:
    SecureCRT - love it

+10000

icon_cool.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was using teraterm but it only supports 4 COM ports. I was digging around and found Putty will support all of the COM ports that you might need!

PLUS.... You can adjust the font color. I like green on black or red on black because it is easier on the eyes compared to hyperterm. Wee!

I even pre-loaded and labeled all of the connections and saved them per com port so i can choose which router or switch from the list of saved connections and load it right up. icon_cool.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like PuTTY.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My two most used programs are teraterm & Pumpkin TFTP.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Putty to SSH into my debian box which I run headless from my win XP setup it's quite handy to use to tinker with samba configs etc, and then check if the changes have had a effect by checking XP
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • girt81girt81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try the PuTTY Connection Manager as an addon to regular PuTTY. Adds tabs for multiple instances of your sessions.

http://puttycm.free.fr/
    In progress: IINS (CCNA Security)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    SecureCRT no if's or but's!!! :)

and to back up config's/make global config changes I use KiwiCattools :) also the creators of Kiwi Syslog which is also in production in my network

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP