Options

free windows packet generator

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
Is there one about?

For example, I want to be able to make my own TCP packet, with some invalid flags and what not :D ...Something also good for qos testing :P
Now working full time!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are Linux solutions Crude, Rude, and socially unacceptable? :D

It's always been easier to find Linux Solutions -- so that's what I usually use. Currently I've got Crude and Rude, Gspoof, and hping. I've used a Windows streaming media app on a laptop for QoS and Multicast testing.

If you poke around the links on this Traffic Generators for Internet Traffic page, you might find a windows program.

Nemesis was a command line tool.... and I think it had an MS Windows command line version. You can still find it at http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just curious, can these types of tools be used to overwhelm your lab with traffic? I ask because someone in another thread mentioned they would never hire someone without real world experience because they will not have seen the trouble large amounts of traffic can cause on a live network...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just curious, can these types of tools be used to overwhelm your lab with traffic? I ask because someone in another thread mentioned they would never hire someone without real world experience because they will not have seen the trouble large amounts of traffic can cause on a live network...

Its kind of different when you know exactly when and what type of traffic over whelms your network.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□

Hook a couple switches up with some redundant connections then:

no spanning-tree vlan 1

It'll be all the fun you need icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□

Its kind of different when you know exactly when and what type of traffic over whelms your network.

That's a good point. I need to randomly simulate mayhem. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well if its a lab you are pretty much always going to know when you introduce something thats going to generate exessive traffic.

Unless of course you bring some end users home and let them utilize your lab icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What you want to do is study QoS and how traffic flows are affected by network conditions and what you can do to provide priority to the important traffic and allow the routers and switches to discard the less important traffic when congestion occurs. I like to set up a few VoIP calls between routers and then throw a file transfer or 2 in there with some HTTP. Really to do this all you need is 2 routers with a serial connection between them, 2 phones with fxs interfaces on the routers, and 2 windows XP pc's for http and ftp. You'll quickly be able to overwhelm the serial line and see what happens to the phone calls.

You could also use some sort of soft phone for the voice traffic. If you simulate the traffic it can be tough to understand what is happening to the calls.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    boot backtrack ....
    use packetforge ...

it's free //// and a live cd
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    My friend just got back to me....This is a great program called "CoolSoft Packet Builder" take a look on Google. Its free windows based GUI.

It allows you to build your own IP, TCP/UDP, ARP packet.

Like right now..I'm having fun...Sending TCP SYN packets to my PIX on port 23 with the SYN flag set. The PIX replies with a SYN ACK but my PC sends a RST telling it to f*ck off!!! LOL!! god I need to find some better entertainment.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    can this be used to generate enough traffic say to crack wep? :P
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    WRKNonCCNPWRKNonCCNP Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To OP:

I've used "Network Packet Generator" with some success (haven't used a ton though). I did some packet captures and copied the packet information into the specified format and it worked for me.

Network packet generator - WikiSTC
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Someone here turned me on to the command line tool iperf – Works great and you can open tons of streams to simulate heavy traffic. I used it and jperf (Java GUI version – limited functionality though) along with real VoIP traffic while studying for the QoS exam.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT