70-297 Stinks!

az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Here is my experience with the 70-297.

I studied for this with Testout and Transcenders. There really isn't alot of new material to study except for maybe choosing the appropriate upgrade procedure for NT domains to 2003 domains.

I thought this exam was absolutely rediculous. The questions are not overly hard but the case study format is where the difficulty lies. The information is presented to you in an extremely long winded manner with a ton of irrelevant information. I would say this is no problem if they would give you enough time to properly outline/document the case study before answering the questions. There is only enough time to birefly skim the case study while searching for key words directly related to your question. This exam is less about validating knowledge and more of a speed reading test.

I can not imagine a real world scenario where a SysAdmin will be presented with two pages of interview, business objectives, technical requirements, etc... and be expected to answer approximately 10 technical questions in 20 minutes.

Anyways, despite failing my first attempt, I am proud to say I passed today with an 863. I had 6 case studies and about 46 questions. Now I only need my operating system (probably Vista) and my elective (probably Exchange 2007) to be MCSE.

Comments

• dave_ne1dave_ne1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im sitting this exam on Thursday, i was wondering how i was going to deal with all the non relevant info in the case study - think a quick read through the questions then go back a read the case study info might be a good idea now - and congrats on your pass
  • az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's what I did my second attempt. I would read the background section and interviews first. This will give you a good overall view of the current scenario. Then I read a question and started skimming the items for the relevant information.

If you have not already I highly suggest practicing some case studies beforehand.

Good luck to you, may you do better than I and pass your first attempt!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I agree with you that 297 is a bad test.

To be fair, the case studies are not long just to confuse people. Rather, the writers write a long case study and then write 30 questions regarding that case - but you only get 10 of them. This way they can vary the delivery of the test in order to prevent cheating without having to write and test 100s of case studies.

My other comments can be found in this thread. The case study format didn't affect me too much - I went through about 90 practice questions and only missed one. My scores on the previous exams were in the 800s and 900s so I understood the material. I have 4 years experience with 2003 networks, and the one I administer today is a redesigned (not upgraded) NT domain that I designed and implemented, so I have experience as well.

Hold on a sec, I'm looking for my soapbox...

I feel the questions were poorly designed and the material tested did not reflect either the real world or the training material published by Microsoft. Specifically, upgrading NT4 domains is a major topic on the test yet is only covered on one page in the MS Press study guide. I can forgive other guides for not covering new material that is on the test (like WSUS) because computer books are out of date the minute they are printed, but these are NT 4.0 Domains - not exactly New Technology anymore. Besides, it's 2008 now and NT 4.0 went End of Life on December 31 2004. About the only way a new MCSE would be migrating an NT4 domain would be if he and Sherman Peabody hopped in the the Wayback Machine, so why is Microsoft testing those skills as if they will be used tomorrow? The test and the study guide need a major revision and update.

I'll get down from my soapbox now and offer some advice.

1. Read the questions before you read the case study itself.
    When I read case studies, I can't help but start planning out the design - how I want AD and DNS set up, etc. - then I don't get a question about those ideas and not only have I wasted time thinking about them, but perhpas come to incorrect conclusions that affect other answers. This may be a reason I failed the first time. When I retook the exam and passed it, I read the case studies first on only half the questions.

2. Read the ENTIRE case study - don't just skim one section looking for a specific answer.
    There may be a comment buried in a section that states that one department must have stronger password requirements than the others. This is one of the two good reasons for creating separate domains in a forest (the other being different dns namespaces) and that requirement may not be mentioned in an obvious place. Gather all the information before you make a decision.

3. Sign up for Second Shot. The free retake voucher saved me $125 when I failed and had to retake the exam.

Hope that helps
  • dave_ne1dave_ne1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    az_golfer wrote:
    Here's what I did my second attempt. I would read the background section and interviews first. This will give you a good overall view of the current scenario. Then I read a question and started skimming the items for the relevant information.

If you have not already I highly suggest practicing some case studies beforehand.

Good luck to you, may you do better than I and pass your first attempt!

I took this exam yesterday and scored a 754 to complete my MCSE.

I followed your advice - i read the background section and the interviews first, then had a quick look at the diagrams and then had a look at the questions and then went back a read through the case study to see if i could find anymore info i needed.

I guess it worked as i passed - so thanks for the advice :) BTW had 6 case studys and 46 questions
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats on passing! Man! I tell you! I personally find the case Study format to be the most difficult!
    If I never see another case study question as long as I live I will be happy :)
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Congrats on passing! Man! I tell you! I personally find the case Study format to be the most difficult!

I completely agree. I failed this exam first time and am retaking next Thurs. I really do dislike the case study format.

FYI for rest of thread: I had 6 case studies and about 45 questions in total.
    ~Thiassi

AGREED!
    dave_ne1 wrote:
    I took this exam yesterday and scored a 754 to complete my MCSE.

FANTASTIC!!

I hope to be there soon myself.