Cisco 2600 Series (2610) Router Question

halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
About 2 years ago our 2600 series router that BellSouth installed broke and they came out and replaced it. They didn't take the broke one with them and I pulled it out of the closet today to play with. The router is powering up properly, the fan is working fine, I am able to connect via xover cable to the ethernet port and get a link light.

I am trying to connect to the console port to initial the password recovery sequence so I can setup my own password and go in and see what the problem is and maybe fix it. Well I looked up the cable guide for this series here:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14.html#topic8
And it states I need a rollover cable to connect to the router through the console port with the standard side connected to the router console port and the rolled side connected to my db-9 female connector. It needs these terminal settings also: (using hyperterminal also)

Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router. Use the following terminal settings:
9600 baud rate
No parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control

I have all of this setup but I still cannot connect to the router, what am I missing here. I have never messed with this series router and I know it's something I am doing unless the router is just shot. I need to be able to connect to the console port to initial password recovery. Thanks for helping the dumb considering this is something I should know icon_redface.gif

Update: I have tried 1 and 2 stop bits since some routers take 2 stop bits, I have tried a standard cable, xover, rollover, rebooting the router and trying to get into ROMMON by using the break key sequence, using both COM ports with both stop bits, none of it is working. I can't get to the password screen period.

Comments

• halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I'm guessing no one has any ideas then :) Well, I tried repeatedly to get the console port working through hyperterminal and I never could so I got mad. I pulled out SolarWinds and did a ping sweep to get the IP address off the interface. Telnet wasn't enabled on the interface to I now have a brute force program running a community string sweep of the router overnight to see if I can get the read/write string. If I can get the string I can upload the configuration file to my laptop and decryp the secret password with my router decryption program, enable telnet and get into it. I don't know how long or if the brute force program with find the string though, I have it set to span only 25 characters long.

I am guessing that BellSouth left the router because it was shot so bad, either that or I just overlooked something on the console port connection (you connect the same way as you would into a Nortel piece which we use at my site).

Also, all of the above, the brute program, the decryption program, are all provided to me by work legally as part of my job, and the router isn't connected to our network :D
  • TationTation Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the same thing with the same results.Found this thread while looking for the answer.
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Do you have an actual serial connector on your computer or are you using a usb adapter? I find most people usually have the com port configured incorrectly. I have also had an issue lately where I could not console into certain Cisco AP's using SecureCRT where Putty worked fine with the same settings.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Do you get any output what s ever? what term program are you using...maybe your drivers are jacked up for your serial to usb device....
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you using a usb serial adapter? Some do not work properly with cisco routers. The break key does not work properly. Dig up a older laptop or computer with a serial port and try again.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If its the usb adapter I'd say go into device manager on your computer and see what are the com numbers. If there are more the one try each one. If it still doesn't work try different baud rates.