Options

call center

iSkateiSkate Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey, what's up ya'll! just started working for AT&T DSL call center (tier 2 tech support), just wanted to know if this is good experience for say a help desk position (i've had the hardest time finding a help desk job because of my experience)? Worked for Geeksquad for about 8 months- didn't help land the job(s) i wanted. So, my question, do you think the position i'm in now is valuable?? What we deal with is everything you can imagine with internet troubleshooting (pop, smtp, pppoe, ip configuration, antivirus, yada yada)- good position, yea or no? Also, what else should i focus on in terms of skills/certs; I have my A+ and Net+ but I feel like i'm wasting time if i go for any other cert that doesn't fit my job (i.e. mcse) (heard it's better to have experience than a piece of paper)? I do have my associates degree, perhaps, i should work toward a bachelor's degree rather than trying to get certified?? only thing is, that's hella money...and i'm starting to ramble. haha. but my questions: is the job i'm in now, in your opinion (s), worth it and what should i try and focus on (degree, certs) if i'm looking to be net admin, help desk, desktop support? thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Call center experience is great for getting help desk/desktop support jobs. I would recommend sticking with it for a year (at least 6 months if you absolutely can't stand it) before you go trying to find yourself a help desk position. I'd also recommend getting at least your MCP and if you're really wanting to focus on help desk/desktop support then go for your MCDST. Of course if you're wanting to go for more of an admin position then MCSA/MCSE and Cisco certifications would be a boon. Certifications and especially experience generally count more than getting a degree.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    yes that will help you alot. I would think just working for a company like AT&T would help you alot too.

This is definitly a step up from best buy you'll want mabye a year or so of this experience, then apply for desktop support. when you nail a desktop support job, then you can escalate within that company to some admin position
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCDST is two tests and it is easy, especially coming from a DSL troubleshooting environment (that is where I started) and it will be helpful in getting onto help desk.

System administrator will not come from Tech support, but it can come from help desk.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    iSkateiSkate Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    once again, thanks to all those that replied!
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Go too school.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Go too school.

how is going to School going to help him

lots of people with IT degrees still can't land there first IT job he now has his foot in the door somewhere I think he should learn what he can from there and continue to grow

maybe pick up a vista or XP cert along the way
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Smallguy wrote:
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Go too school.

But it cerainly won't hurt, either.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol dudes, i think the "Go to School" remark was a trolling post!

haha, it made me LOL out loud.
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Smallguy wrote:
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Go too school.

lots of people with IT degrees still can't land there first IT job he now has his foot in the door somewhere I think he should learn what he can from there and continue to grow

maybe pick up a vista or XP cert along the way

I've said it before, although not in a long time :) , I'll say it again...most of the college graduates with I.T. related degrees are unemployed because they don't want to use what they learned in college. Most C.S. or M.I.S. majors learn how to program/code and all of the high level math concepts. Most colleges aren't teaching them how to be a Systems Admin and certainly not a Help Desk Technician. If those college graduates would just start off doing development, software engineering, programming, etc., then they would make good money right out of college. I was one of those college graduates that didn't like programming, but that's all I was taught. I had to take my fisrtst job after graduating doing just that because it was VERY good money. After a few months, I found my niche and where I wanted to do in I.T. Went from managing a Tier 2 Desktop Support team, Systems Administrator, to Systems Engineer. I had to take a small pay cut after changing I.T. focus but it was expected as I was a noob in this particular field.

In short...get your education. Go to school...it will definitely pay off in the long run and compliment your hard work. Wait until it's time for you to compete for a leadership role like management, supervisor, or Lead...you will see it places you above others in the eyes of non-technical, business-minded decision makers.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    famosbrown wrote:
    Most C.S. or M.I.S. majors learn how to program/code and all of the high level math concepts. Most colleges aren't teaching them how to be a Systems Admin and certainly not a Help Desk Technician.

Very true. This is the sole reason I have been working on my associates, because there is hardly any BA/BS programs out there in networking..there's a ton offered as associates. Just something for those out there to consider. Even then..you still need experience.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Bachelor of Science in Computer Network Management
    by Westwood College Online - Computer network professionals are expected to keep the routers, servers and networks of entire companies running quickly, efficiently and securely. That's why over the last ten years, few careers have experienced the kind of job and salary growth of comp - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

2. Bachelor of Science (BS) in Information Technology - Network Technology
    by Capella University - To move forward in the evolving world of information technology you need more than technical certifications or a two-year degree. You need a bachelor's degree that will advance your technical skills and provide a solid foundation in business management an - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

3. Online Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology - Network Management/Microsoft
    by National American University - The purpose for this program is to give students a deeper knowledge of current information technology and the foundation of business operations and practices. Courses focus on the analytical skills to determine the information needs of a business and prob - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

4. B.S. Information Technology - Networks Administration
    by Western Governors University - Take your IT career to the next level! Earn an affordable, online bachelor’s degree in Information Technology—Networks Administration Emphasis plus eight IT certifications including MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator), Sun Certified Associate - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

5. B.S. Information Technology - Networks Design & Management
    by Western Governors University - Advance your career in network management! Earn an affordable, online bachelor’s degree in Information Technology—Networks Design and Management Emphasis plus eight IT certifications including MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), CompTIA, and CIW. - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

6. Bachelor's in Network and Communications Management
    by DeVry University - DeVry's Bachelor's in Network and Communications Management program integrates technology and business management coursework, enabling graduates to analyze communications needs, provide effective networking solutions and fill a critical niche in business - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

7. Bachelor of Science in Information Technology – Network Administration
    by South University - This program provides students with the opportunity to prepare for a career in Information Technology with an emphasis on Network Administration. Students build the skills and knowledge needed to establish and manage private, public and enterprise network - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

8. BS in Computer Information Systems - Networking
    by Bellevue University - Bellevue University’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems - Networking (SNAP) degree is designed to provide technology skills that meet the administrative needs of today's network-driven information infrastructure. Students will gain skill - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

9. Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
    by Colorado Technical University Online - The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology – Network Management features courses in Network Infrastructure Administration, Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Network Infrastructure, and Network Infrastructure Design. Students can learn to In - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

10. Bachelor of Science - Network Management
    by Virginia College Online - The Bachelor of Science - Network Management program will give you the skills you’ll need for a career in a broad range of private and public sector organizations. You’ll study networking, finance, marketing, human resources, leadership, communications, d - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

11. Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Internetworking Technology
    by Strayer University - The principal objective of the Bachelor of Science in Information Systems program is to teach students state-of-the-art computer concepts. This will prepare them for programmer/analyst, database management, Web development, networking, internetworking and - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

12. Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Networking
    by Strayer University - The principal objective of the Bachelor of Science in Information Systems program is to teach students state-of-the-art computer concepts. This will prepare them for programmer/analyst, database management, Web development, networking, internetworking and - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

13. B.S. in Networking Technology
    by Kaplan University - Learn to administer a computer network-online! Become an expert in the theory, design, administration, and maintenance of computer networks. With Kaplan University's Bachelor of Science in Networking Technology degree, you'll gain the knowledge and skills - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

14. Advanced Start B.S. in Networking Technology
    by Kaplan University - Learn to administer a computer network-online! With our advanced start program, you can earn your Bachelor of Science in Networking Technology degree in under two years. Become an expert in the theory, design, administration, and maintenance of computer n - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

15. Advanced Start B.S. in Information Technology/Network Administration
    by Kaplan University - If you have your associate's degree, our online advanced start program can help you earn a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology in as little as 12 months. Our innovative program combines the career-oriented focus of a two-year degree with the aca - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

16. B.S. in Information Technology/Network Administration
    by Kaplan University - The objective of this online degree program is to prepare you for career advancement in IT and visual arts with the knowledge, communication skills, critical thinking, creative skills, and technical competencies required in the modern workplace. At the co - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

17. Bachelor of Science in Computer Networking
    by Regis University - The Bachelor of Science in Computer Networking degree helps prepare students for critical information security issues, such as protecting their organizations from hackers, viruses, and other acts of cyber-vandalism. The computer networking degree program - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

18. Bachelor of Science in Information Networking and Telecommunications - Computer Networking and Telecommunications
    by Fort Hays State University - Graduates are designing, implementing and supporting the communications networks of tomorrow. INT Computer Networking & Telecommunications graduates may work in engineering, production, operations, managerial, sales, consulting or regulatory positions. FH - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info

19. Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) - Network Administration
    by American InterContinental University Online - AIU Online's Bachelor of Information Technology, with a concentration in Network Administration degree completion program can be completed fast. The main objectives of the BIT Network Administration degree are to prepare students to identify various hardw - ... Degree Info | School Info | Request Info
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller