Options

70-290 ?4hours??? I was registering to take but now iffy.

License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well just as I was registering I was hit with the news that this is a 4hour exam..I am in Florida not that it should make a difference....

I have been prepping with CBTNuggets....TestOut....and Serebra....reading Sybex+MS press+some ExamCram......practice testing with Transcenders.

But the problem is i have been practicing for 90 minutes....and at home take a 20 minute break after 45 minutes cuz I cant sit there that long....anyway I finally started getting a decent grade and was willing to give the real test a crack.......only to find out this plus that there is some kind of simulations also been added to the whole thing.

I find it abusive that they can go to this extent.....is there a break? can I bring in some soda with me? they told me no...and that if I break it will come out the exam's time.

I have been scoring some 75%'s here and there...if u guys have any extra pointers I could really use.

I took the 70-270 less than a year ago and it was 1:50 minutes.
Anyone know where I can see some simulations.
Is it really 4 hours?

This is my first post here, no lurking...i stumbled across this site searching yahoo for "4 hour long 70-290" .

Hello to all.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    searching yahoo? well you are doomed starting right there!

Yes this exam is 4 hours although most people don't take the entire time. I did mine in 1-1.5 hours.

If you do some searching on this site's forum then you can find good topics about the 70-290.

There are simulations on this test. I would focus on understanding permissions well and be able to set up many scenarios via labs in your book or from questions in your own personal lab.

Good luck. Make sure and sign up for the microsoft 2nd shot which could save you from paying again if you fail.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As far as the sims go, just work through all the exercises in the MS Press book. They're typically straight-forward if you know what you're doing.

I'm with Mishra. The exams typically give you much more time than you need. I completed the exam in the same time-frame. If you're there for four hours, you don't know the material.

I think they'll let you get up and go to the bathroom and get a drink of water. As mentioned above, time's not really an issue, so I wouldn't worry about it taking away from your exam time. You could take a half-hour nap and still be ok.

I'd keep hitting the practice tests until you're consistently hitting 90-100%. If you're going through them multiple times, make sure you know why each answer is correct or incorrect, otherwise you're just memorizing answers.
  • Options
    License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks this is great news....and thanks for the tip as well....when I review i always go through the explanations for the wrong ones.

I have not done any of the labs....but now want to....have any in particular that are most important?

thanks again...what a releif. I'll train harder...was mostly concerned to train for more questions which would be just too much for me. As it is it's been about 8 weeks now of serious no partying...strictly studying weekends. And I really want to knock this one out of the way so I can take a small break before starting the next.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not done any of the labs....but now want to....have any in particular that are most important?

Lab experience is a great asset in not only understanding and passing an exam, but it gives you a huge advantage in a work environment and/or if you are asked questions in an interview. I would do all the labs you can and even create your own labs for topics you are having some trouble understanding in its entirety.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117

I'm preparing to take the 290 in a week or so, and I have found all of the MS Press book labs to be extremely helpful in my understanding of the material. I would recommend reading through all of them one time and taking notes on any points you're unfamiliar with, then sitting down at your computer to work through them all. I've done that twice now, and I plan on doing it again right before the exam, just to keep familiarizing myself with the screens,
    Fear is the absence of Faith.