Options

Win NT and 2000 questions on the 290

147147 Member Posts: 117
As I've been studying some of my practice material I've noticed a lot of questions which refer to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. Most of these refer to how the legacy OSs interact with the Server 2003 environment, but some regard dual booting between the older OSs and 2003.

I'm not familiar with NT 4.0 or 2000 as a server. How much do you need to know about the older OSs in order to pass the 2003 exam?
Fear is the absence of Faith.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    147 wrote:
    As I've been studying some of my practice material I've noticed a lot of questions which refer to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

Get used to it icon_evil.gif

The dual-booting stuff seems a bit out of place, but maybe it's just basic stuff such as disk structure. You're not going to need to know how to configure NT4 or 2000, but you will need to know what limitations you will come across when working along side those older OSes. It comes up a lot.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Yeah, I don't think you really need to know much about the older OS', you just need to know the limitations.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a real world environment, NT and 2000 still has a surprising presence in companies today. It would be healthy to learn what advantages 2003 has over 2000 and NT and the history behind the OSs. It would actually be beneficial if you created a test lab with a mildly complex 2000 domain and upgraded the entire thing to 2003 without affecting "production" users.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117
    Although I think the exam objectives should more clearly state that the requirement for knowing the 2000 and NT 4 limitations versus 2003, I can see why it will be beneficial to know about the older OSs for the real world.

Thanks for the input on this, everyone.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I doesnt seem to have much on the older OS's, but I know we have to understand the various mixed/native mode DFL's for group scope and all that jazz.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Good advice. I would add that Microsoft really likes you to know what is new to the 2003 OS. Everywhere your textbook mentions a function that is new to 2003, I would make sure that I was familiar with it.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.