Options

Got new job and new raise

I have landed a new job. After 9 mos. of being the Network Technician and a reputable Architectural Design firm I am going to be the Systems Administrator at a colocation company. I will be working with Linux, Cisco, Windows amongst other things. The company I am leaving is one of the best places in the country to work for so says WSJ but I would have never gotten the exposure and training I need to propel myself to the next level. Since I will be working for a colocation company I will be doing a lot of implementations and not just maintaining our system. I negotiated a 6K increase and the bennies are nice. Just think 9 mos. ago I was doing help desk work. All I can say is wow, I am blessed. Believe and work hard and anyone can do it especially if I can. One more thing, they are sending me to Red Hat Linux training my first week.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! I'm on year 3 of trying to get my first IT job. Sucks.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Just remember, you make your money coming in the door, not staying there usually in this industry. Get the most you can on your initial salary negotiation, because usually, you're not gonna get much more than cost of living increases thereafter.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Thanks for the advice Hero.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I know that feels good and exciting. Linux training is very cool. I think alot of people out there under utilize linux. Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have landed a new job.
    Wow! icon_thumright.gif
    I will be working with Linux, Cisco, Windows amongst other things.
    Wow! icon_thumright.gif
    I will be doing a lot of implementations and not just maintaining our system. I negotiated a 6K increase and the bennies are nice.
    Wow and Wow!! icon_thumright.gif
    All I can say is wow
    I can see why! icon_lol.gif
    One more thing, they are sending me to Red Hat Linux training my first week.
    Wow!! icon_lol.gif

Good Luck! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Guys,
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I need it. I am leaving a firm that was voted in the top 14 small workplaces to work for in the country. I just feel that this will benefit my career a lot more than where I am at. I am scared because of the social environment change and excited at the challenge. I just hope I can live up to my pay increase LOL.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guys,
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I need it. I am leaving a firm that was voted in the top 14 small workplaces to work for in the country. I just feel that this will benefit my career a lot more than where I am at. I am scared because of the social environment change and excited at the challenge. I just hope I can live up to my pay increase LOL.

You'll be fine. I've left jobs for 8K and 10K in just the last couple years. I haven't gotten into any trouble yet....
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."