Passed 291 :)

RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
Heyas,

Woot! Passed 291 on first attempt with score of 960 :D Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Glad I took peoples advice and studied up on WSUS and DNS.. lots of it. Moving on now to sec+ and 299 to make mcsa:sec :)

Used Mainly CBT nuggets, MSPress n techexams:) Quite a fun exam,

Had a quick read of http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31741 before I left :P

Thanks,

Rev.

Comments

• cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Very impressive score, I hope to score that high when I take mine on Monday!
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Awesome job! Mind boggling score.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Congrats !
    Awesome score !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Hey thanks,

I was seriously stressing about this exam because off all the comments about being the beast etc... I put the exam of another month because I felt I wasn't up to par with WSUS. Spent a couple weeks playing around with WSUS in lab environment and read all I could find. Didn't really find the main study materials I used went into wsus much so I pretty much read the support site and then just played. ( most of my questions were pretty much WSUS,DNS and IP stuff)

After that I went back over DNS and DHCP and scheduled the exam :) Ild hate to say it but 270 and 290 were a lot harder for me >_< I had barley no hands on experience before those exams (background in programming) but was lucky enough to get a job working as a sys admin soon after. I mainly work with AD and DNS, so i guess that helped in prep for 291..

Hope this helps someone who's worried about the exam.. just know dns and wsus inside out. Take your time and have a decent play in a lab and go for it :) Good luck.

Rev.
  • KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Revenue, I'll keep studying and hopefully I'll take the exam in 3 weeks or less.
  • 1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    Not a good score, but a pass is a pass. Congrats!

Just kidding :D
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hey, that's a very nice score. Congratulations on the pass.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow! Great score. What's your background?
    -Daniel
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Private pm:
    What kind of lab did you use for 291, and did it cost you any money?

Hey. I just built up on the Lab I had from studying for the 270 and 290. Only cost me a ram upgrade but I needed that anyway :P.

I started off using Microsoft's free Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx but started having a few probs with vista x64 so I switched to Vmware workstation and haven't gone back. Vmware is a geat program for running virtual pcs/servers. Can easily set up "groups" of servers/pc's and can start up or configure one subnet/group at a time.

I went a bit overboard but I found it quite fun to play around and see what can do. Had a few different groups which I configured in different subnets each having about 3-5 windows server 2003 servers, 3 windows xp clients and a Red Hat enterprise 5 server. Even with 4gb of ram it chuggs on my pc with it all going so just played around with 2-3 groups at a time.

With that I could play around with nearly whatever I wanted. Spent a lot of time with DNS, just setting it with a few different zones and namespaces, practicing labs from the MSpress books and testing what ild done, then ild make an error and go around too see how it affected various other servers n clients. Same goes for other apps/services.

Anyway, I highly recommend using some sort of virtualization software for your lab. Its cheap/free and easy to set up and have a play with anytime. (Total Cost: $190 NZD - Ram upgrade).
    Daniel333
    Wow! Great score. What's your background?

This is my first Job in IT (systems admin - aka runaround boy for the engineers :P) Managed to get that after my 290 and 270 certs with a degree. Before my degree I was a rural firefighter so really had no IT experience. During my degree most the papers I took were programming, systems development and project management. Wasn't till my final year that I took the CCNA night course just out of interest and then decided this is the side of IT I want to be in.

Now im just regretting not taking more hardware or OS papers but I guess its good to have a view from the other side as well. I'm also self studying my way through MCSE and then il head back to CCNA/CCNP and some security certs :) Kinda addictive this cert stuff eh?