Options

Just starting the 290 training kit, need help please

HairymarbleHairymarble Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just started this course work on Saturday 01/03/08 so please bare with me on this post.

I have an old laptop at home which I have installed server 2003 on, it’s not connect to the internet and I was solely going to use it for mucking about on using server 2003.

The problem I have is that I can’t install active directory from the “Manage your server” “Add or remove a role” I can’t recall the error in full but it’s to do with the machine not having a full complete IP address.

I have tried configuring the IP address, subnet mask etc to match what is in the training manual but this did not work, and I tried to install the software from my ISP and connect to the internet but I get an error along the line of “IE explorer 7 not supported on this operating system”

All I want to do is to be able to install active directory and play on with the rest of the exercises in the manual, therefore can any point me in the right direction as to get around this problem, maybe an ip configuration so that the machine believes its connected etc?

Cheers up front.

Ps

For the record when I use IPCONFIG from the CMD it comes back blank, and the machine is on a workgroup at the moment and not a domain, not sure if that would make any difference from the outcome or not.

Comments

• Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Active Directory requires a static IP address and DNS running. The DNS must be installed on your laptop turned Domain Controller since it is the only server in your domain. You don't need a default gateway set(unless you want the server to have internet access). Set the DNS address to 127.0.0.1.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    penberthpenberth Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked to make sure you have device drivers, etc for everything installed? When I have come across blank responses from IPCONFIG, it typically had something to do with TCP/IP not binding correctly to the network card. Make sure you have the correct network card drivers installed, and that TCP/IP address is set.

Also, like the post before this one, make sure you have a static IP address set. Typically you can use one of the private addresses, such as 192.168.0.5, etc.

Let me know if this helps you.
  • Options
    HairymarbleHairymarble Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers guys, got it sorted in the end, I needed to install a loopback adapter.

I have attached links for anyone else that may come across this error.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260362

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5647584.html