Options

Simple WINS query (I think...)

kingpeterkingpeter Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have a query regarding the setup of a WINS server. I currently have two servers setup on my virtual network, one's a 2003 DC and the other is a 2003 member server. The DC is configured with one NIC and has the IP address of 192.168.1.1. The member server is setup with two NICs configured with IP addresses 192.168.1.2 and 172.16.0.1.

I am trying to setup the two servers as WINS replication partners however when I try and configure the member server as a WINS server it automatically defaults to the IP address of the second NIC, 172.16.0.1 and not 192.168.1.2. I have tried right-clickinh WINS and selecting 'Add Server' and specifiying the 192.168.1.2 address but this defaults back to the 172.16.0.1 address.

Why does this happen?
Does it make a difference which IP it is tied to? (I assume it does)
Is there a way of changing this behaviour?

Cheers icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, if I remember correctly, it is considered a bad practice to use a dual-homed server as a WINS server. I'll post a follow up if I can find a source for that information.

However, try changing the order of the adapters in your Network Connections.

Go to Advanced>Advanced Settings, highlight the adapter you want for WINS and click the arrow to move it to the top of the list.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I have verified the order of the NIC's is correct. I've yet to disable the 172.16.0.1 NIC card and try again so will do that later tonight.

As for the dual-homed server issue, if you could that would be great. I wasn't aware of that so it may have something to do with my problem.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, I just went over this when studying for 293. Basically, WINS is supposed to bind to the IP of the first network adapter. However, MS does not guarantee this behavior.
  • Options
    Oh, interesting. I'm assuming the only guaranteed way to do it in that case is to install the second NIC after WINS has been configured in that case
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This link might help you out.
  • Options
    Brilliant! Many thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link dynamic, I had some other things to attend to. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.