Options

ntfs permissions with iis

rimvydazasrimvydazas Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
can we use anonymous access along with ntfs permissions in IIS to control access? measureup says to enable anonymous access if you want to use ntfs. logically thinking I guess this is true because we can control access by assigning permissions to IUSR_whatever. however, I am not 100% sure, but I think I saw smth on MS press book saying to disable anonymous access if you want to use ntfs permissions... icon_rolleyes.gif
-= The Ray

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Permissions to web pages or virtual directories affects all users logging in.

To setup user specific permissions you need to setup NTFS permissions.

Web service access permissions and NTFS permissions work together. The more restrictive of the two permissions will be the effective permission.

(Works in the same sort of way as Share and NTFS permissions)

Technotes on this site might help:

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/xp/iis.shtml
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    Permissions to web pages or virtual directories affects all users logging in.

To setup user specific permissions you need to setup NTFS permissions.

Web service access permissions and NTFS permissions work together. The more restrictive of the two permissions will be the effective permission.

(Works in the same sort of way as Share and NTFS permissions)

Technotes on this site might help:

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/xp/iis.shtml

hmmm... I think I wasn't clear enough with my question. I know how NTFS and web permissions work together. the question was whether we can use NTFS permissions to control access for users accessing website using anonymous login.
    -= The Ray
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you answered your own question stating that you can limit "IUSR_whatever" permissions. :)
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    I think you answered your own question stating that you can limit "IUSR_whatever" permissions. :)
    I just wanted to double check icon_rolleyes.gif of course, assigning ntfs to IUSR isn't the safest and best choice to control user access... but it's possible. good to know that icon_idea.gif
    -= The Ray