CCVP Lab question again - clarification

snowbhoysnowbhoy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,

Looking for some explicit advice on building a lab for myself. I've just got a machine which I'll use as a VMWare server, chunky enough to run a few instances of CM, plus dynamips etc.

In addition I've got 3 3640's and 2 2620xm's left over from my CCIE R&S (No switches or other routers of use any more, been sold) and wondering what else I need, and what I should keep/sell (I'd like to sell some of these on ebay if I can). especially what WIC's I need, IP Phones etc and generally how I should set up my lab.

I'm completely new to the voice world so assume I know nothing :)

Many thanks.

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's too broad of a question to give a detailed answer. There are many different ways you can go, what type of budget do you have for equipment. As with most things, you have the "everything you will ever need lab" the "it will do most everything" and finally "good enough to get you by". It all depends on what you;re looking for. For starters you will want some FXS and FXO interfaces for the 3640's or the 2620xm routers. This will require you to buy the NM-2V carrier module to put the VWICs into. Also you will need to make a digital trunk, this requires a NM-HDV with PVDMs and the MFT VWIC. You will need analog phones, as well as the VoIP phones (7940's are good, 7960's are better). You will need a switch, PoE is preferred, but anything with a voice vlan will do if yo uuse the power bricks that come with the phones. All in all I would get a CVOICE book and start reading, you'll get a better understanding of what is required.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • snowbhoysnowbhoy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate your answer and understand it's not all that clear cut.

In terms of numbers of real routers I need, given I can configure stuff in dynamips and get it to speak to the real routers - would you suggest I keep maybe the two 2620 xm's and buy 'some FXS and FXO cards (One of each?) plus the two network modules, but a voice vlan capable switch and some phones?

Guess I'm trying tominimise physical kit - takes up space & power and I'd like to sell them if I can.

Cheers.