1st day of MCSE class and the instructor is a no show

empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
I was kinda pissed off when I arrived and he wasnt' there. He made sure all of our course material was there, and left us contact information and HOMEWORK. For him not to show and leave homework, I could kill him,lol. icon_eek.gif

Comments

• ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Are you paying for this class cause if so i would be pissed.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Demand a refund. There is no excuse for that crap. Call your manager and tell him what happened and I bet HE will beat down the doors of that place. You are not getting what you paid for.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would be tempted to pack your bags and go home. if you are paying for it yourself then i would demand a refund !

ive been on many courses where people have been late in traffic but never one who hasnt showed. If that were the case i would at least expect someone to fill in for him - besides most of the guys ive had who teach these classes read from the book anyway. i know this wont be everyone but thats from what i have experianced - especially on microsoft courses !
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Oh I think I'm leading you in the wrong way. He was called off to Cali for some massive casulty to work on for the week. He had someone there is his place who not a instructor, but who gave us the books told us what to study, and what happend. I took Cisco CCNA through the same place and it was times where the instructors were called away, but usually had time to find there sub. This was last min. From what I have heard he is a great instructor, so I will wait till I meet him to decide on wheather I"m staying. Also this is free training for me. Uncle sam is picking up the tab.
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Just curious if the training is with a larger company (Global Knowledge, New Horizons, etc) or at a local college?
    Its on a military installation. I'm not gonna say there name, because I don't wanna prejudice anyones mind. I have gotten my A+ N+ and CCNA through the same school. You gotta be on your 0 and 1's to teach your courses on base.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    If you wasted time getting you Network+ from a paid course on a military base, you might be the dummy....hahaha
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
    Goldmember wrote:
    If you wasted time getting you Network+ from a paid course on a military base, you might be the dummy....hahaha

Nah it was included in my CCNA. They offered it, but my instructor told me not to take it, since CCNA covered most of the stuff. But since it was free I would have. It was more a matter of the time to waste than the money.
    empc4000xl wrote:
    Goldmember wrote:

Nah it was included in my CCNA. They offered it, but my instructor told me not to take it, since CCNA covered most of the stuff. But since it was free I would have. It was more a matter of the time to waste than the money.

I have run across many military personnel who taught at local community colleges that were absolutely terrible instructors.

Eventually all the students left the Microsoft and Cisco classes because the teaching was so god awful. We would start out with 20 students and by the end of the class there would be 5-6 students.
    Not because of the difficulty, because the instructors would read from slides and the book.
    Anybody can read from a powerpoint slide.

I would be careful where you take courses. It sounds like you have a good deal for the time being.
    Free courses and exams doesn't sound too bad.
    Oh no this guy is not in the military. A lot of them are retired military, but these guys are contracted to teach on base. My CCNA instructor actually writes books for cisco. I haven't had a bad instructor yet. I'm hoping I continue to get the quality that I have had in the past. He just didn't make it today, because something came up, but they usually extend the same things to us due to the fact that we are in the military and cant make every class. I was pissed, but I had to think about all the times from now until november that I wont' make it to class. So its all good for now.
    What is your instructors name?

I might know him if he writes books for Cisco.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Reminds me of ITT there were quite a few times when teachers were a no show. More often we would spend 4 weeks installing 2003 server and spending another 4 weeks setting up a domain controller and adding a couple of users. Then do it all over again next quarter, we did this for the entire MCSE book set which was like 1-2 books each quarter. We only had like 2 hours of lab time and the rest was spent listening to an instructor. We would go through MOC books and he would read all the steps to everything from the book (like how to create a share) and that's about it. Such a waste of money.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore