Options

What seems more formal in a email underscore or dot ?

nathan-fadernathan-fader Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious really, many student liason officers in my college are fussing about making a formal business email address, and when the cookie crumbles it seems that firstname[underscore]secondname@domain.etc or firstname[dot]secondname@domain.etc are the best to pick, whats your opinions?

PS im not challenging anyone or insulting anyone in the way the emails are liked to be set up, this is what they want i solely want opinions

Nathan-Fader

*the address became links and the underscore and dot wasnt visible.. pointed out by Royal, safe for that!!
Everyone Seems To Bully Me In This Forum.. Good Advice Thou...

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dot is better. Why? Look at your post. Everything is underline and to some people, it'd look as if the e-mail was a space rather than an underscore. Period is the way to go imo.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Dot is better. Why? Look at your post. Everything is underline and to some people, it'd look as if the e-mail was a space rather than an underscore. Period is the way to go imo.

im just wondering, like it seems better to do a dot, but then most of the email addresses with dots are taken, or for the fidgety people like myself.. when you stare at it long enough it doesn't seem to give the first and second name space, makes it just seem too long to handle...

and when you say a email address with an underscore it kinder gives the two seperating words recognisable space from each other..

but maybe its me icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Nathan-Fader
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:

+1. Totally agree.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using my under score hotmail address for years and haven't run into any problems yet. In fact I landed every IT job including my new one just last week with that address. I don't think it really matters as long as your email isn't a crazy name.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the replies are going to be opinion btw. There's no wrong way. It's all a matter of preference.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    The Tasmanian Government email address naming standards, October 2002 states they use firstname.surname. icon_lol.gif

Source: http://www.stors.tas.gov.au/au-7-0020-00055;jsessionid=4d7595d098d445d6a004e845572b849e

Random I know but it is 4:43am!

Either is good, I dont think it matters aslong as your not hot_stuff@bigpackage.com
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    The Tasmanian Government email address naming standards, October 2002 states they use firstname.surname. icon_lol.gif

Source: http://www.stors.tas.gov.au/au-7-0020-00055;jsessionid=4d7595d098d445d6a004e845572b849e

Random I know but it is 4:43am!

Either is good, I dont think it matters aslong as your not hot_stuff@bigpackage.com

That's Interesting .. icon_shaking.gif hmm.. thanks for the feedback.. how comes your awake at such times
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sie wrote:

I don't appreciate you putting my email address out there for everyone see :D

One more for the dot here but like royal stated its all opinions here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    That's Interesting .. icon_shaking.gif hmm.. thanks for the feedback.. how comes your awake at such times

Work till 7am sleeping.gif
    Sie wrote:

Stop putting it on the posters around town then icon_wink.gif

I would go with a dot as its easier to read as Royal pointed out in his first post, saves explaining to 'some' people what an underscore is.

"Underline?...."
    "Is it the line at the bottom?....." :)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There are still people who don't know where the _ is. So I would stick to the .

-Daniel
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I prefer firstinitiallastname@company.com

eg hstuff@bigpackage.com

hehehe Stole Sie's example there... icon_lol.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    A.P.A wrote:

eg hstuff@bigpackage.com

This is my preference as well.

Using firstname.surname can get very long for some people and nobody wants to try and spell all of that over the phone to someone. I have one client whos first name is 10 letters and surname is 8. In my opinion the more letters involved the great chance there is for a mistake and firstinitiallastname@... is certainly proffessional.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Schluep wrote:
    A.P.A wrote:

eg hstuff@bigpackage.com

Using firstname.surname can get very long for some people and nobody wants to try and spell all of that over the phone to someone. I have one client whos first name is 10 letters and surname is 8. In my opinion the more letters involved the great chance there is for a mistake and firstinitiallastname@... is certainly proffessional.

That's hard to do in an environment with 40,000 people though. So a lot depends on the size of your organization.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I prefer first initial + lastname or lastname + firstinitial, or first.last. I don't think it really matters though, as long as it's your name and not some nickname, online alias, your favorite sports team, etc. I think underscores are fine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer the dot ever since I had a use call me complaining they couldn't send an email to john_smith@example.com. I went to their desk and they were typing in "johnunderscoresmith@example.com" When I corrected the guy he said "how is anyone supposed to know that is called an underscore?" So I guess a dot is easier.

/sigh
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Schluep wrote:
    A.P.A wrote:

eg hstuff@bigpackage.com

That's hard to do in an environment with 40,000 people though. So a lot depends on the size of your organization.

Yeah that's a valid point you raise! but the way we overcome it is if two users share same first initial and last name then we bring the middle initial into play...... Although our company size is just under 10,000 so it's probably still a bit easier to implement this sort of email convention.

Size of organization does play a big role when making these decisions...... icon_cool.gif

• Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I prefer the dot ever since I had a use call me complaining they couldn't send an email to john_smith@example.com. I went to their desk and they were typing in "johnunderscoresmith@example.com" When I corrected the guy he said "how is anyone supposed to know that is called an underscore?" So I guess a dot is easier.

/sigh

until you come across another user with the 'meatware' virus that types in

johndotsmith@exampledotcom

/frustrated sigh icon_lol.gif

• Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    dtlokee wrote:

/sigh

And I had hoped it was an isolated incident when I encountered it. I had someone typing "dot" and "at" also though.