Why did Microsoft pick PST?

evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, I'm currently in the middle of converting a laptop from Vista to XP and I arrived at the Time / Region part of the setup once again. It's curious how on just about ever fresh install I can recall the timezone seems to have a default of Pacific Standard Time (PST). icon_confused.gif

Heres the funny thought, if Microsoft HQ is primarily based out of Redmond, shouldn't the timezone be different? icon_redface.gif Just a random thought as I look at this screen, anyone else have some thoughts on this?
Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security

Comments

• aoeaoe Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll have a go...

Why not EST? I know we base TV schedules around the east coast so why wouldn't we base the computer as well?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    evoxdc wrote:
    Heres the funny thought, if Microsoft HQ is primarily based out of Redmond, shouldn't the timezone be different? icon_redface.gif Just a random thought as I look at this screen, anyone else have some thoughts on this?
    That's just the thing. Microsoft's campus in Redmond is in the Pacific time zone, so it would make sense that a company based there would design their software to default to PST.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    evoxdc wrote:
    That's just the thing. Microsoft's campus in Redmond is in the Pacific time zone, so it would make sense that a company based there would design their software to default to PST.

*looks at the map* icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Well I'm pretty much laughing at myself, thanks for that.

*Holds out a pie*

Would anyone like to do the honors?
    Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
    Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
    Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
    Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
    Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security