Options

Confused!Which elective for MCSA 2003?

DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys,am kinda confused,i have attended the whole MCSE track and i have so far completed 70-270,70-290, and i recently knocked off 70-291.Now, i wanted to get my MCSA first before proceeding to MCSE 2003.The main reason is to first secure a job then take my time to finish off the rest of the MCSE exams.Now i am not sure or rather confused on which elective are suitable or to take in order to get my MCSA or shud i take my time to finish my MCSE in a sequence?WIll it be beneficial to take 70-284 before completing AD and 293?

How did u do urs and how did u benefit from that?

Help guys and thanx.
Working on 293:

Comments

• Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The best elective to take for MCSA in my opinion is the Security+. It gives you the elective for MCSA and MCSE. It is also a standalone cert, and counts toward a security elective if you pursue MCSE:Security. It is also a fairly easy test compared to some M$ tests.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    techster79 wrote:
    The best elective to take for MCSA in my opinion is the Security+. It gives you the elective for MCSA and MCSE. It is also a standalone cert, and counts toward a security elective if you pursue MCSE:Security. It is also a fairly easy test compared to some MS tests.

+1

I also want to add that the objectives on the security+ will help with with concepts and objectives on some MS exams. I would also like to point out that while the Security+ may be easier than some MS exams (Open to debate) that it is by no means an easy exam. Do not underestimate it.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Although I am not very far in my 293 studies, I have found many connections to topics I learned when studying for the Security+ exam. Like others have already said in this post, the objectives learned in the Security+ will certainly help you out when it comes to future MS tests.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    kingpeterkingpeter Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone here done the ISA exam as their elective and if so do you think it's worth doing?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kingpeter wrote:
    Has anyone here done the ISA exam as their elective and if so do you think it's worth doing?

I think HeroPsycho did. I thought about it, even bought the materials. Just never got around to it though.

If you need to use ISA for your job, it's definately worth it. If you want the MCSA/E:Security designation, then this would count towards that (as would Sec+ and 299, you need 2 out of 3).Otherwise it would depend on if it interested you or not.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Yeah. I would go Security+ as well. An extra cert, you learn a lot and if you ever go DOD, it would meet a requirement for IA positions :) .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kingpeter wrote:

I have taken the 70-350 and nailed it with a 911. Loved studying for it and think the product is great. The 70-351 is out and I actually used ISA 2006 to study for the 2004 exam.

I also agree that the security+ is a great elective.
    Security+
    Makes a good cert, but I have to say that if you recently passed the 291 I would take the 293 ASAP because they are VERY similar. I passed the 291 and then studied certificate services and did test prep, passed easily.
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    kingpeter wrote:

I have taken the 70-350 and nailed it with a 911. Loved studying for it and think the product is great. The 70-351 is out and I actually used ISA 2006 to study for the 2004 exam.

I also agree that the security+ is a great elective.
    Security+
    Makes a good cert, but I have to say that if you recently passed the 291 I would take the 293 ASAP because they are VERY similar. I passed the 291 and then studied certificate services and did test prep, passed easily.

I also did the 70-350, but I found rather boring to study...
    However, I also think the product is great, check into isaserver.org, its awesome to learn ISA and there's lots of real world tips and tricks !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    Obi-LAN-KenobiObi-LAN-Kenobi Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good news! For some time, Microsoft's certification planner on the MCP site listed CISSP as an elective, but anyone who tried to add their CISSP certification to their transcript was told that this was a "glitch" and you could not use CISSP as an elective. I just called the MCP regional center and was told that ISC and Microsoft are in negotiations and soon you will be able to add CISSP as an elective. I was told to watch for it very soon. Now I don't have to waste $251 for Security+. :D
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Security+ is a good suggestion for an elective for all the reasons stated.

However, I would caution against regarding it as "easy". The subject material is straightforward, and the questions are more "quick fire" than MS exams, but it can trip up the unwary. I felt well prepared for it, but within minutes of starting the exam, my confidence was ebbing away.

Check out the Security+ forum, and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

The cost of the exam may be another factor to consider, too.

I don't want to put you off. Like I said, its a good suggestion, but don't underestimate it.

Having said all that, I used A+ and Network+ (first certs I did) for my MCSA elective. That's 3 CompTIA exams total at £whatever plus the 3 MS exams, and I then had to do another exam (Security+) for my MCSE elective. I know better now.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now I don't have to waste $251 for Security+. :D

make your employer pay for it! icon_twisted.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If it were me, I'd go for 70-284 or 70-236. Exchange is in high demand. If you currently do not work on Exchange, go for the 70-236, so by the time you apply for a job that does, or if your current employer migrates, you have the current version. You also gain MCTS certification.

You could also pursue the SQL MCTS cert to fulfill the elective as well.

If you go ISA, go for 70-351 so you gain MCTS while fulfilling the elective. However, I recommend against ISA over Exchange or SQL since Exchange and SQL are far more commonly used. The exception is if you're going for MCSE: Security. You then might as well get the ISA cert to boot.

I know what people are saying about Security+, but the reality is it's very common that being a Windows Admin/Engineer means you also need higher level application experience like SQL or Exchange, too. Most of the better paying Windows Admin/Engineer jobs expect one of those, if not both. Plus, most higher end security jobs require CISSP, not Network+. Get the cert that propels you higher in the food chain.

My first permanent IT job was a Senior Engineer position, and I got it because I knew Exchange (certified with advanced hands on skills), and every position I've gotten since I never would have been considered without it. Without those skills, I'd have entered as an admin and would not be where I am today. I don't think Security+ would have done that for me. And because of my Exchange skills, it has opened the door for me to learn ISA (securely publishing OWA), storage work (optimizing storage for Exchange), and Enterprise Vault (archiving mail out of Exchange).
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    If it were me, I'd go for 70-284 or 70-236. Exchange is in high demand. If you currently do not work on Exchange, go for the 70-236, so by the time you apply for a job that does, or if your current employer migrates, you have the current version. You also gain MCTS certification.

You could also pursue the SQL MCTS cert to fulfill the elective as well.

If you go ISA, go for 70-351 so you gain MCTS while fulfilling the elective. However, I recommend against ISA over Exchange or SQL since Exchange and SQL are far more commonly used. The exception is if you're going for MCSE: Security. You then might as well get the ISA cert to boot.

I know what people are saying about Security+, but the reality is it's very common that being a Windows Admin/Engineer means you also need higher level application experience like SQL or Exchange, too. Most of the better paying Windows Admin/Engineer jobs expect one of those, if not both. Plus, most higher end security jobs require CISSP, not Network+. Get the cert that propels you higher in the food chain.

My first permanent IT job was a Senior Engineer position, and I got it because I knew Exchange (certified with advanced hands on skills), and every position I've gotten since I never would have been considered without it. Without those skills, I'd have entered as an admin and would not be where I am today. I don't think Security+ would have done that for me. And because of my Exchange skills, it has opened the door for me to learn ISA (securely publishing OWA), storage work (optimizing storage for Exchange), and Enterprise Vault (archiving mail out of Exchange).

+1

I think exchange is a really valuable skills to have, I'm starting with the basic 70-236, I find Exchange 2007 to be realatively easy to administer compared to a lot of M$ products out there. Also you gain a MCTS status when you pass any Exchange 2007 exam.
  • Options
    snadam wrote:

Kinda hard to do if you already have your CISSP. Most employers are not willing to pay for a down-level cert if you already have the industry-standard cert.
  • Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good news! For some time, Microsoft's certification planner on the MCP site listed CISSP as an elective, but anyone who tried to add their CISSP certification to their transcript was told that this was a "glitch" and you could not use CISSP as an elective. I just called the MCP regional center and was told that ISC and Microsoft are in negotiations and soon you will be able to add CISSP as an elective. I was told to watch for it very soon. Now I don't have to waste $251 for Security+. :D

CISSP as an elective for MS Certs?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:

Kinda hard to do if you already have your CISSP. Most employers are not willing to pay for a down-level cert if you already have the industry-standard cert.

very true. However, Sec+ is a recognized MS elective for MCSA/E while CISSP is not (although it really should be taken into consideration by MS). So maybe they can work that angle?

EDIT: Wow, I should have read some more. I guess you can disregard my statement above.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    +1

I think exchange is a really valuable skills to have,

Blasphemy! Exchange is horrible! Do people actually use it?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mengo17 wrote:

CISSP as an elective for MS Certs?

It may only be an elective for the MCSE:Security 2003 cert. I was probably going to go that path anyway. After taking the CISSP and CCNA, anything is bound to be easier. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    griffagriffa Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    confused and looking for a little guidance. I recently passed my Net+ exam, about to take my A+. Kinda backwards, I know. I'm confused about the electives and the MCSA track. I know that Net+ and A+ together count as an elective on the track, but exactly what does that mean? Sorry if this is a dumb question! icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

When taking the MCSA you would be required to take an OS exam (usually 70-270 for XP or 70-620 for Vista with people now favouring the 70-620) and then there are two required core exams you would have to take, the 70-290 & 70-291. After that you are required to take one elective exam. If you have an A+ and a Network+ or Server+ the combination would be applied in place of the one elective exam. Also if you had the Security+ instead that would count as well in place of the one elective exam. For the MCSE though the A+/Network+ or Server+ combo doesn't count for the elective, and only the Security+ counts. So you would either have to take the Security+ or you would have to take one of the myriad elective exams.

Look over the list from the link and get very familiar with it and then plan out your exam track and stick to it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    griffagriffa Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok, cool. You just cleared it up for undomiel, thanks!
  • Options
    tigerplugtigerplug Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kingpeter wrote:

I plan on taking this within 2 months