Options

2003 install problem

VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
Having problems installing 2003.

It goes through the install no problems. It’s when it reboots and tries to load up. I get the Windows 2003 splash screen and then nothing; the screen goes blank.

Any ideas?

PS It’s on a Dell Dimension P4 2.5ghz with 256mb RAM. Should be plenty I think?

Cheers.

Charlie.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Will it load in safe mode?

And yes, that hardware is sufficient.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly sounds like a video card problem to me. Safe mode and then maybe swap the video card. Let us know!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hit F8 on bootup and select Enable VGA mode. If it works you either have too high a resolution than your monitor can support or bad video drivers.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Safe mode and VGA both work. I'll try a different monitor tomorrow (current is a 15" Dell TFT).

Could this be the excuse I am looking for to buy a new 19" to match the other one next to it? Or could it be the graphics card?

Cheers

Charlie
  • Options
    VantageUK wrote:
    Could this be the excuse I am looking for to buy a new 19" to match the other one next to it? Or could it be the graphics card?

You could probably convince a non-technical person that it's the monitor, but it's the graphics card, driver, or incompatible display settings.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VantageUK wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

Safe mode and VGA both work. I'll try a different monitor tomorrow (current is a 15" Dell TFT).

Cheers

Charlie

its most likely the card, but if you want to confirm, try swapping out the monitor for a known working one.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to set the resolution lower, such as 800x600 or 1024x768.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    While at it, you should just throw more RAM into it for kicks and giggles
  • Options
    Wierdly, it works fine now.

Not sure how. All I did was boot up in safe mode, checked all was ok, then left it for a few days.

Switched it back on yesterday and it works fine..

Cheers

Charlie.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've seen video drivers before that for some reason wouldn't fully work until you had gotten fully into windows, which usually required a boot to VGA mode or safe mode. It is kind of random though, never worked to peg it to anything specific.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Somtimes, simply managing to load Windows in safe mode will allow it to fix itself. I've seen this happen numerous times.