Options

Questions about IT certifications training - please help

Timberwolf5578Timberwolf5578 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and I have some questions about the best way to study for IT certifications. I would like to get into the IT field, most probably Networking. I would like to get A+, Network+, and CCNA certifications to start with. One at a time of course. I want to start with studying for A+. I have experience building two PCs for myself about 8-10 years ago. I was pretty familiar with Windows XP in the past, but the last 3 years I have been using a Mac computer. Should I go buy or build another PC to get practice again? I would rather just buy a Windows laptop, because it's portable and I figure I am going to need a Windows computer if I plan on entering the IT field. So far I've purchased the Mike Myers A+ All-in-one book. What other (if any) study materials should I purchase? Should I take classes? Or is self-study good enough?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    you should be able to get by on that book alone.

If you are to build a computer, I suggest just buying something cheap. A+ doesn't exactly cover cutting edge stuff anyway, so maybe find a cheap $100 used computer and use it for learning. Everything else will be covered in your books and other sources you find on the internet.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First, welcome to the forums! :)

I don't think you need to take classes for the A+, especially if you've already experienced the fun of building a computer or two, as that's about all a hands-on class will do in addition to book study.

The Mike Meyers book is a good choice based on the opinions of several "A Plussers" (A+'ers?) on this board. I think if you use that and the Tech Notes on this site, plus whatever hands-on poking around you can manage you will be good to go. I do think picking up a cheap PC or two from a garage sale or somewhere will also be a good idea.

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, check out CBT Nuggets if you like instructional training. They're not cheap, but they're much less than a class. They might be a good alternative for you.

Welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally dont think you need to purchase a computer for the A+. If you already have the experience of building them in the past i would not worry to much.

The CBT Nuggets is a great series i used them for my Network+ and am currently studying with them again for my Vista 70-620 exam. I always compliment my studies with a book when i use CBT and of course the tech notes from this site.

Wish you best of luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress