Just sat the 290 exam..

johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
..and PASSED with an 814! I have been putting this test off for the past 2 months, but decided to buckle down and start studying hard about 2 weeks ago. Prior to starting my new job as a Field Technician two months ago, I had absolutely no experience with Server 2003. Luckily, I have been able to get a lot of hands on experience in this new job, and my boss is always showing me new things.

I had a lot of questions on backups and terminal services. Out of the first 10 questions, 3 of them were sims. I had 6 sims total. Aside from the hands-on experience that I've had, my primary study tool was SkillSoft.

Moving on to the beast. I hope to have it completed by June 30 (when the second shot promotion ends). Do you think this is possible with what little experience I have? icon_confused.gif

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice score, congratulations!

3.5 months for 291 is definitely doable, even with no experience. Once you get your head around subnetting and dns, you'll be fine. Just take it slow and don't burn out. There's a ton of information, but it's really not that hard if you break it down into manageable pieces. Good luck!
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Just be careful with the dates. You have to take your 1st shot by the 31st of May and your 2nd shot retake before the 30th of June. That said, you have enough time like Dynamik says. Nice score!
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    First shot by May 31st?

I was counting on taking my 1st shot right before June 30th.

I'm glad someone clarified.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hetty wrote:
    Just be careful with the dates. You have to take your 1st shot by the 31st of May and your 2nd shot retake before the 30th of June.

I wasn't aware of that, but I'm glad that you brought it to my attention. Thanks! icon_wink.gif
  • Rai_poloRai_polo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What's this first shot second shot buisness you guys are talking about?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rai_polo wrote:
    What's this first shot second shot buisness you guys are talking about?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx

fail, get a free retake.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    johnw02 wrote:
    I had a lot of questions on backups and terminal services. Out of the first 10 questions, 3 of them were sims. I had 6 sims total.
    Same here. I think those two topics made up almost 1/2 my test. I didnt expect so many sims either, but they were very "big picture" oriented. I actually prefer those to regular questions.