Options

NETWORK SIMULATORS

TYETABTYETAB Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
WHAT NETWORK SIMULATOR IS THE BEST? BOSON OR ROUTERSIM'S NETWORK VISUALIZER.
WHAT NETWORK SIMULATOR IS THE BEST? BOSON OR ROUTERSIM'S NETWORK VISUALIZER.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    D. None of the above.

But if someone has a gun to your head and forces you to use one -- and gnawing your foot off to escape isn't an option -- then Boson.

Most people will suggest building a small home lab, or using real equipment in a school or work lab -- check out the CCNA FAQ for more information.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used Boson before and it is fair. It really doesn't do much though compared to what you will find in an actual lab. If you are in a pinch and have no money........ Boson.

Disclaimer:

Don't blame me if you get Boson and find out the program doesn't offer the full feature set of commands and what not for the equipment, and you cannot perform the proper troubleshooting.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    if you are in cisco academy use PacketTracer its really good IMO. I dont know if people outside the academy can get it though.

win2k4
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've spent over $200 on routersim visualizer 5.0 and 6.0.
    Personally I feel it's a waste of money but this is just one man's opinion.
    Maybe it works for others but not me.
    Spend a little bit more and get yourself the real McCoy.
    You can always sell your equipment at some point
    and get most of your money back.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used Boson, it's not bad. You should use actual routers and switches though. I went to a local school that had a networking lab, and got permission to use it. I had two schools lending me their network devices. :)

I've also heard Dynamips is good.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    cool_waterscool_waters Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Blah. If you must simulate, EMULATE.

Dynamips is the way to go if you're not building a lab. It is free. It emulates any IOS image you give it. Only downfall is you will still need to purchase switches as it will not emulate a switch very well.
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Its all about packet tracer. I know you miss out on a few things, but I have been working at a NOC since last year and I really can't tell there difference. I know I'm in more a WAN enviorment, so I don't get much with switches mostly just routers. But I really can't tell the difference for CCNA. I was all into the real gear until I started the NOC where I can't tell.
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    I used Boson intensively when I prepared my CCNA, and i can say that finally he helped me much to get my certification, however if I had previously real equipment, I think I would have saved a month time. icon_neutral.gif
    Dinamips crashed to me so I could not use it unfortunately.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.