Options

Running out of time!

jtgerdesjtgerdes Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was reminded of these exams expiring after putting them off for over 4 years in the middle of studying for the 70-282 to get my business in the SBSC which was late January. Since we do mostly small business networks, I don't use a lot of the topics covered in these tests very regularly so I'm finding prepping for these tests to be more work than I anticipated. I tried the 70-292 a little over a week ago after not having properly prepared and didn't pass icon_sad.gif I'm now working on the one objective that killed me - DNS, as well as reading through some 870+ practice questions from ****.com.

I have three questions:

1. The tests retire at the end of the month, but it appears that Prometric.com will allow you to schedule these tests the full 8 weeks into the future that the website will allow you schedule an exam. Anyone know anything about that? Is March 31 the cutoff date for scheduling?

2. I'm taking the 292 on the 27th which leaves me no time for the 296 unless I can indeed schedule it for later in April or May. Does anyone know if you have the MSCA 2003 if you can simply take 3 additional tests to get the MCSE 2003? 3 is worse than 1 but better than 7.

3. Has anyone used ****.com practice tests before? Any input?

Thanks - I appreciate any insight!

Comments

• Options
    jtgerdesjtgerdes Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One other question - anyone have any good books covering DNS completely - especially in Windows Server 2003?
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The last day you can take these exams is March 31st. I would hope there would be some kind of error if you actually went ahead and tried to schedule one of these exams past this date.

I wish I could answer the 2nd question for you. I would assume that you could just take the 3 other exams but I can't say that, that is the case.

I found technet to have a nice collection of information that helped me out.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jtgerdes wrote:
    Does anyone know if you have the MSCA 2003 if you can simply take 3 additional tests to get the MCSE 2003?

Yes. Just check the requirements here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

Whatever you already have as an MCSA will apply toward your MCSE. Most likely I think that means 293, 294, and either 297 or 298.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From how I have read the site, you if you have the MCSE 2000 and MCSA 2003, you should only need two exams (293 & 294) to get to the MCSE 2003, because the design exam you used for the MCSE 2000 will count towards the MCSE 2003.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    From how I have read the site, you if you have the MCSE 2000 and MCSA 2003, you should only need two exams (293 & 294) to get to the MCSE 2003, because the design exam you used for the MCSE 2000 will count towards the MCSE 2003.

Good catch.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For DNS resources, you might want to check this out: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0596005628/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I haven't read it personally, but it's gotten mostly positive reviews.

Also, be sure to check out Royal's 291 sticky: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21736

There's a lot of DNS resources in there.