Options

Folder/File permissions

Gang,

I am having a hard time with folder and file permission levels. When i share a folder, do i need "SYSTEM", and CREATOR OWNER part of the Groups or user names which have persmissions under the Security Tab?

All, do i need to reapply settings? I change folder permissiosn on the folders, and apply the settings. users are still able to connect to the folders until i blow everyone out of from under the Security tab "Gropus or Users Nmea which have permissoins". Only after that do the new settings take effect. Is this normal?

Thank you,
Datchcha
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Ok, something odd was going on...

The applied settings were not taken place until sometime after they were applied. I am not sure what would cause this issue, but now it appears to work.

Thank you,
    Cheers!!!
    Arrakis
  • Options
    THEMOON17THEMOON17 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    usually policy settings take atleast 90 minutes to stablilize

if you want them to get stabilized soon to your new settings then

go to START--->RUN--TYPE CMD----ENTER
    >TYPE GPUPDATE/FORCE ----ENTER

POSSIBLY FOLLOWED BY A RESTART OR ELSE OK EVEN WITHOUT RESTART
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You do not need the Creator Owner group in there. The creator owner group is a placeholder in an inheritable access control entry (ACE). When the ACE is inherited, the system replaces this SID with the SID for the object's current owner. I always leave the SYSTEM group in though. Also, if you want the permissions assigned to the files below the folder you are sharing then you will have to do this by checking the box "Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects." If you don't do that then the permissions won't filter down to the child objects.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2