Options

70-271 at end of month

Deen54Deen54 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am taking this exam at the end of the month.
Any tips or surprises that i should be aware of?

Does microsoft mail me my MCP status?

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Good luck!

I can't give you specific tips on this exam but I can tell you that this exam like any other requires understanding of the objectives through reading/classroom/video and supplemented by hands on experience/labs to re-enforce what you learned.

It's been a while... I think MS emails you your MCP ID to the email address you provide when you sign up for the exam. With the MCP ID you log into the MCP site and request a Welcome Kit.
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    That is exactly what happens.
  • Options
    that sounds great. Do you have to pay for that welcome kit?
    I thought you get a card and a certificate?

This is my first exam to write from microsoft.
  • Options
    basically i have been working as a computer tech for 8 years. I went to college got
    my Lan diploma..after got a job and didn't follow up with any certifications.
    .. i haven't seen a raise in 8 years ..just (two times) 2% increase in 8 yrs time. Finally i had enough and told my boss that i want to be up to at least average pay like the rest of the world. He says no raise unless i upgrade and get MCP etc.. but no gaurantees.

So now i have to study after 8 years. When you get older it is pretty hard to pick up a book and study.. you are busy doing other thing like family responsibilities.. no one has time for study
    and homework.. homework geez that's so high school. lol
    anyways..my back is against a corner and i booked the test at the end of the month so the pressure is on.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The Welcome Kit is free and comes with a card and Certificate.

Did you sign up for Microsoft's 2nd shot promotion? They have it going until June 30th. If you sign up for the promotion, then use the voucher code provided to sign up for your exam, you can breath a little easier. If you fail the exam, you sign up again using the same voucher code and can take the exam for free.
  • Options
    yes i did sign up for the voucher... i just copied the code is that good enough or
    do i have to print out the code for them?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deen54 wrote:
    .. i haven't seen a raise in 8 years ..just (two times) 2% increase in 8 yrs time.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I would be looking for another job immediately upon passing. Actually, just make that immediately.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    that's right ... if i get this and don't get a substantial raise. They can kiss my ass goodbye.

I will get the exam 70-272 next...at least i can show MCDST and 8 years experience after.

Then I will be more marketable.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deen54 wrote:
    basically i have been working as a computer tech for 8 years. I went to college got
    my Lan diploma..after got a job and didn't follow up with any certifications.
    .. i haven't seen a raise in 8 years ..just (two times) 2% increase in 8 yrs time. Finally i had enough and told my boss that i want to be up to at least average pay like the rest of the world. He says no raise unless i upgrade and get MCP etc.. but no gaurantees.

So now i have to study after 8 years. When you get older it is pretty hard to pick up a book and study.. you are busy doing other thing like family responsibilities.. no one has time for study
    and homework.. homework geez that's so high school. lol
    anyways..my back is against a corner and i booked the test at the end of the month so the pressure is on.

Not sure if you have yet or not but it might be great motivation for you to read through quite of bit of the posts on this site. Many determined and responsible people here from young to old, and people who have been stuck at jobs, to extremely experienced with families, to people randomly moving to LA with no car or money trying to figure out the train systems so they can get a job (;)).
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    yes, i am sure we have all types here.

Does anyone know how microsoft scores the exam?

I know you need 700 to pass and 1000 is a perfect score. So does that mean 700 is 70%?

so if there are 61 questions ..i would need to answer 43 questions right to get 70% or 700

is that accurate?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Deen54 wrote:
    I know you need 700 to pass and 1000 is a perfect score. So does that mean 700 is 70%?

so if there are 61 questions ..i would need to answer 43 questions right to get 70% or 700

is that accurate?
    Yes 70 is 70%, but I think they might weight some questions. On a 50 question test, 1000 points possible, with people coming up with an odd numbered score...to me...means that some questions have to be worth more (or less) than the equivalent of 20 points per question.
  • Options
    pcpro215pcpro215 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I took my test, 271, I had a few "feedback" questions for M$. They were to help them "make the exam better in the future". The had no bearing on the outcome of my test, if I got them wrong, it didn't matter. I ended up passing with an 833, but still.... why waste my exam time, on something that doesn't matter? icon_confused.gif

Anyhoo.. I have my 272 exam today. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the sims are scored anything like they are in Transcender, you'll get a point for completing each objective. So if a sim asks you to do six things, you will get a point for every one you did correctly. They're not all or nothing. Also, the exams sometimes include trial questions that aren't scored. I think you'll have a difficult time getting an accurate prediction of how you did before you submit it for scoring.
  • Options
    one more week... it's getting exciting.
  • Options
    juansifujuansifu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to take my test tomorrow and I am very nervous... icon_sad.gif I have done the Readiness test but it seems that I can't get about 70.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Deen54 wrote:
    yes, i am sure we have all types here.

Does anyone know how microsoft scores the exam?

is that accurate?

To my knowledge its not discloused how they score the exams. Some questions are weighted more than others ie simulations (i dont know if there are any on this test)
  • Options
    hey all i scored 950 and am now a MCP!

I faxed my results to my boss already. Raise time.