Options

A+ or MCSE?

ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, cheers for reading :D
first of all, last year i completed a 2 year course at college (national diploma) in IT. Whilst randomly scanning over some areas of a+ cerification, i noticed that they were near enough the same areas covered at college.
I've been studying mcse (exam 270) and I did some of the practise questions
and my first practise exam result wasn't too bad
I randomly decided to take a a+ practise exam and to my concern failed miserablyicon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
personally, what do you people think is more advanced, mcse or a+? even though noticing the mcse information for the upcoming exam is majoritably current knowledge i already have?
and if mcse is more advanced; based on my results, would i benefit by obtaining an a+ certification first? icon_confused.gif
cheers in advance

Comments

• Options
    wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
    I can tell you even though i don't have my mcse yet that the mcse is more advanced than the A+. The A+ is basic computer knowledge and customer service. Depending on what mcse specialization you want you can use security+ as the elective, but for mcsa you can use A+ and Net+ or A+ and server+.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well the MCSE is much, much, much more than what you are studying in the 270 exam. If you are having difficulty with A+, I don't think you are going to have much luck with the more advanced stuff in the MCSE track, at this time. Work on the A+ first.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It comes down to your goals and the amount of time you have, and of course, what do you want to do when you grow up? :)

A+ is useless if you are going into programming or database admin. MCSE is great because you can pick your poison on the electives. If you see yourself working on computers, server etc. A+ is a great starting point and will pad your resume for years to come.

Here's what I did...
    A+
    Net+
    CCNA
    70-270

Here's what's the goal by year end.
    70-290
    70-291

My big mistake was going to the CCNA, I should have finished off the MCSA/MCSE first. Which is what I'll recommend to you.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCSE is more advanced, but is targeted towards the Microsoft Server technologies.

A+ is more vendor neutral and has hardware questions in it.

You don't know how many MCSE's I've seen that don't know how to change a hard drive, clone a hard drive, install a motherboard, etc...

And I've seen some A+ certified people know how to manage a network better than some MCSE's. But, I've also seen some uncertified genius' that know how to do anything. And some certified dopes that know nothing.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short story:

A+ is 2 exams.
    MCSE is 7 exams.

Maybe you meant MCP?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Vito_CorleoneVito_Corleone Inactive Imported Users Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Short story:

A+ is 2 exams.
    MCSE is 7 exams.

Maybe you meant MCP?

I hope so. MCSE is leaps and bounds beyond A+.
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    ivlatt,
    A+(along with Network+) is one of the minor electives for the MCSA/MCSE. Having an A+ certification is a very long way from having your MCSE certification. I wouldn't expect to be able to walk in and pass any certification without having studied specifically for it. No matter your educational background. And yes, getting your A+ prior to going for your MCSE is a valid path and a good way to go.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely think he means MCP. I wish MCSE was 1 exam.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

I dont...you know how LONG that exam would take and how much it would cost? icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, if he plans to get his A+...he'd better do it soon. It's expiring next month. icon_sad.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU&feature=related
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    snadam wrote:

I dont...you know how LONG that exam would take and how much it would cost? icon_lol.gif

lol, good one :D
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Well, if he plans to get his A+...he'd better do it soon. It's expiring next month. icon_sad.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU&feature=related

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just got rick rolled :D
    so simple, yet so funny

doom969 wrote:

lol, good one :D

Hey, I try
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security