Impressed with coverage of routing

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
Coming from someone with Cisco background before Microsoft, I am impressed with Microsoft's coverage of routing and routing protocols in the 291 MS Press book.

A few things I noticed...

Privilege Levels(Microsoft Land) is basically equivalent to Administrative Distance(Cisco land)

The Microsoft routing table(as I have known for awhile) is extremely confusing to look at...haha

Demand Dial Routing always throws me for a loop because of my lack of experience with remote access technologies...I have been exposed to PPP and CHAP for years but there is always something to kick me in the pants.

Overall I'm impressed with the depth of coverage of these technologies. It was more then I was expecting.

Have fun :)
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But, the million dollar question...

Who uses a Microsoft server as a router or demand dialing?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never seen a RRAS server. Now I have seen RAS servers back in the dial-up/T-1 days and I've also seen Windows XP ICS machines.

The thing is that ICS comes with Windows XP which is a much cheaper license than a 2003 license.

But yeah I glanced through the RRAS chapter pretty quickly because I've studied for the CCNA before. I also installed it yesterday (sigh lol) and poked around with it for a bit.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I'm not sure who installs Windows Server 2003 routers...they obviously don't have all the features of Cisco routers.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    royal wrote:

Exactly! But in Microsoft Land, they must think it's extremely important and used all over the place since they put so many of those questions on the exam icon_rolleyes.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    JdotQ wrote:
    royal wrote:

Exactly! But in Microsoft Land, they must think it's extremely important and used all over the place since they put so many of those questions on the exam icon_rolleyes.gif
    Kind of like all the questions from 290 on performance monitoring, backup/restore, and terminal services. As irrelevant as TS is in most environments, and as behind the curve to 3rd party software as the other topics i mentioned are...you wouldnt figure they'd ask much about them on their tricky tests....