W2k3 Backup Routine

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
We're about to start backing up one of our servers using the built in Backup tool, to tape and seperately to another network drive.

My question is this:
In starting the built in backup tool, does it create any temp files on the C drive? I ask because its an older server with just a little less than 1GB free on C. I'd hate to start the task and have a temp file fill up the rest of the drive. I googled and didnt see anything about it.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No. The amount of time that would add to large backup jobs would be horrendous.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I didnt think so either, but wanted to run it past the community.

So if it chokes the server out, I'll just point my supervisor (non-technical) to the above post to avoid being fired :p
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What good are semi-anonymous forum contributors if you can't pin the blame on them? icon_lol.gif
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brad- wrote:
    I didnt think so either, but wanted to run it past the community.

So if it chokes the server out, I'll just point my supervisor (non-technical) to the above post to avoid being fired :p

I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head, but why don't we lab it up and find out for certain, before risking blowing up what sounds like is a production server?

Just set up a server, start a backup job, and watch the size of the C drive as it runs. Shouldn't be too difficult. That's the best I can do for ya.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head, but why don't we lab it up and find out for certain, before risking blowing up what sounds like is a production server?

Just set up a server, start a backup job, and watch the size of the C drive as it runs. Shouldn't be too difficult. That's the best I can do for ya.
    I would if I could.