Options

First Post - OSI Layer 7 / Firewall?

dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new here and I have never posted here before but have read this forum for a few weeks and am aware that it is a great resource and full of helpful people! I have a 2 year Associate of Applied Science in computer network operations and 3 years of entry level network administration / PC support. I am excited about earning my CCNA and chose the ICND1&2 route.

It has been 3 years since my entry-level network theory classes and I am forgetting some of what I have learned.

On to my question. I am using the newest Cisco Press / Odom ICND1&2 books. In chapter two he states that one of the associated devices with OSI layer 5-7 is a firewall. Ask me what layer a Firewall resides at 2 weeks ago and I would have said 3. (this is on page 35 of ICND1 btw).

No where else in table 2-5 under any other layer is firewall mentioned as an associated device. Should I assume that if Cisco asks this question (which I don't know if they would), that I would chose 5 through 7? I am confused.

If anyone has time and wants to humor me, don't give me an answer yet rather ask me to think about a hint or something. I like figuring things out on my own unless I get really really stuck.

Thank you in advance!

Dale

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It varies depending on the firewall. Think about what that particular firewall is actually doing. Is it just making decisions based on IP addresses or is it doing things like inspecting the actual data inside the packets? Just take whatever action it's performing and find the correlating layer.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, cool... I was having trouble picturing what the firewall could be evaluating at the upper levels. I am having some trouble with some of these conceptual topics in these early chapters but a lot of it is sticking.

Thanks for your help.

Dale
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anti-malware/anti-spam, blocking email that contains attachments, etc.