Options

Has anyone tried the Transcender or Self Test Software prep?

GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
Just wondering if anyone has tried either of the above products and if they would recommend them for the CCENT or CCNA.

Also, does anyone konw if the material between the 2 tests are similar because they are both owned by the same parent company and I can't see them keeping 2 R&D and writing staffs (one for each product). Would you recommend 1 over the other?

Thanks!
G.
Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm a big fan of Transcender, but I'm not exactly sure what the difference between the two are. I've called Kaplan before out of curiosity, but they've never given me a straight answer.

I've been going through their CCENT product, and it's been a little buggy so far. For example, I did 8 wireless questions, and two that I answered correctly were marked incorrect. It says that I chose the correct answer in the explanation, but in order to have the answer register as correct, I need to choose the wrong answer. It's not a big deal, but it's a little annoying. You can tell that this is a new product and not one of their 5 year-old MCSE products icon_lol.gif

I emailed their support and got a prompt response. It'll probably be fixed in later revisions. However, I still think it's a worthwhile product.
  • Options
    True story. I called this evening and tried the self test number first. Spoke to a "person" there (protecting names to protect the innocent). Hung up, called the transcender number, same person picked up. :D

I asked and they said it was pretty much the same product but unless they've run through the tests who knows..

Thanks for the fast response.
  • Options
    FYI. Called back today. Here is the skinnny. The 2 products are the same except for the fact that Transcender has 10% more content and a better refund policy. With Transcender, if you fail within their window (90 days) you get your money back. With STS, you have to fail twice to get your money back.

Price difference between the ccna for selftest software and transcender is $100 bucks.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On this note, is the transcender software similar to brain ****? I would like to find a GOOD practice test environment without being a "dumper."
  • Options
    I've used their MS tests in the past and I don't think they are ****. Questions were fair and challenging and just because you passed their tests it did not mean you would pass the actual exam. Their answers are more valuable than the questions because it goes over key points, very good explanations and provides additional reading references. It gives you a good luck and feel and helps to point out areas you are weak in.

I just don't know how good they are with the Cisco CCENT and CCNA stuff. I've heard mixed reviews about Boson and I know their audio program wasn't good at all.

Hope this helps.
    G.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glynixx wrote:
    FYI. Called back today. Here is the skinnny. The 2 products are the same except for the fact that Transcender has 10% more content and a better refund policy. With Transcender, if you fail within their window (90 days) you get your money back. With STS, you have to fail twice to get your money back.

Price difference between the ccna for selftest software and transcender is $100 bucks.

Nice update. Thanks.
    On this note, is the transcender software similar to brain ****? I would like to find a GOOD practice test environment without being a "dumper."

No. I've used them for all my exams, and the only questions that are even remotely similar are the basic fact-based questions (i.e. You need to allow http traffic through the firewall, which port(s) do you need to open? Seriously, how many different ways can you ask a question like that?)

I think they were sketchy in NT4 days, but they're great now. Check for yourself: http://certguard.com/search.asp
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome. Thanks. :D