Options

Practicing Shadow Copies

MeekerMeeker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am doing some Shadow Copies sims to practice lost file retrieval and previous version retrievals.

I have enabled Shadow Copies for a small 1gb volume I created. I have made some changes to some files (deleted, created and modified). The Shadow Copies client is installed and recognised in add/remove programs.

However, I have no Previous Versions tab. I have tried selecting the properties of volumes, files and folders, nothing!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe shadow copies only apply to shared folders. Is the folder in which your files are located shared?
  • Options
    MeekerMeeker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes it is shared. The volume is on a 2003 Svr SP2 with the client installed. I am also accessing it from the server not a client.
  • Options
    That may be your problem, trying to do it all from the one machine. In my VMware setup, I have a server 2k3 setup with shadow copies, but I can't access them from that machine. However, if I access the properties of the shared folder from an XP client, the previous versions tab is there with all the old versions of the files I have. I'm not sure if you can access previous versions through explorer the normail way. You can, however, access them on your 2k3 server machine if you access the folder through UNC. On your server machine go to start>Run then type in "\\yourservernameorIPaddresshere", then navigate to the share, right-click, properties, and the previous versions tab should be there. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Meeker wrote:
    Yes it is shared. The volume is on a 2003 Svr SP2 with the client installed. I am also accessing it from the server not a client.

As the previous poster noted, you won't see it from the server. Access it from the client machine via the share. That's the ONLY way to see the Previous Versions tab.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    or by browsing to the share on the server via UNC... icon_wink.gif