Options

another dynamips helps request...

SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
so i figured ill get into the who cisco thing and start studying for my CCENT,

i have downloaded the entire Gns3 package with dynamips, dynagen gns winpcap etc

i have set up a loopback adapter with add hardware Microsoft loop back adapter

here is the problem when i run the network device list.bat it doesnt show me my loopback interfaces

i am on vista now

any help is appreciated

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest ditching GNS3 and learning how to use dynamips on its own. GNS3 is a resource hog, and dynamips is not hard to learn how to configure.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    What is GNS3?

I ran dynamips one year ago with help from internetworkexpert.com

Check out their tutorial on dynamips which will get you up and going...

Then check out dynamips FAQ and dynagen....

With dynagen and dynamips that will be enough for most things, unless GNS3 added some new functionality?
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I stand corrected icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Isn't GNS just a front end that builds the NET files for you? I don't see how it's such a resource hog if that is all it does and then hands off the processing to Dynamips. I only used it once and I didn't notice a difference between using it and dynagen but I didn't test it too much, I still prefer the real deal and with racks of equipment here at work it's not and issue.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    It stays running, and I don't know what it does but it KILLS my machine. Granted, I'm generally on a laptop when I'm studying, but when GNS3 is NOT running I can get 10 7200s going with 12.4.18 Enterprise IOS. I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 with GNS3 running. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    thx for the replies :) im sure in time i will probably learn to make my own .net configs and i have noticed it does eat up quite a big chunk of ram.

well my main problem was trying to get the routers to ping each other. i read on some other posts that i need to install a loopback adapter then run the network devices list and add it to the net configs to get it working

but the main problem im having so far is after i install the loopback adapter the network device list isnt detecting any loop back interfaces, i have installed reinstalled winpcap and still nothing icon_sad.gif

i think it may be a vista issue does anyone know a fix to this?
  • Options
    ive manged to fix this problem and gotten it to work correctly :)

but now i have another issue my tcl scripts dont seem to work at all icon_eek.gif

tclsh

foreach address {
    } {
    ping $address
    }

after i hit enter i just get a blank line with nothing on it icon_redface.gif

23bn8.jpg
  • Options
    bohra_ajaybohra_ajay Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, i am here to get help too....

I have also installed GN3 Al in one pack. now my problem is that after adding the IOS. whn i try to add the router in the GNS netmap, it gives me this error

"a hypervisor is running on Port 7200. It will not be shutdown after you exit GNS3"

if i dont get thsi one then the other error

"can't start Dynamips on poert 7201"

what od i ahve to do is there any problem in my installation or have i missed some configuration part??? Pls help.
  • Options
    well basically with this error
    "a hypervisor is running on Port 7200. It will not be shutdown after you exit GNS3"

you need to close gns3 and then ctrl + alt + delete and manually end the dynamips-wxp.exe

then run gns3 again and it should work