Options

Is Networking Addicting?

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well technology Is really addicting (addictive?). When a new gaming GPU rolls out, people scramble to learn every single detail about it by heart. they drool all ober their desk just by reading the specs. So is networking addicting in a similar manner?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not really. If what I have works, and works well, I don't give a crap about new stuff until I need to replace antiquated/broken equipment. Swapping out a GPU is a little less complicated that rebuilding routing tables or firewall policies or bringing the entire or a section of the network down.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing like moving your equipment to a new server floor. Easily 60 machines. Fun times.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    Nothing like moving your equipment to a new server floor. Easily 60 machines. Fun times.

ohh the joys of moving racks of equipment, i dont envy you at all.
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Well technology Is really addicting (addictive?). When a new gaming GPU rolls out, people scramble to learn every single detail about it by heart. they drool all ober their desk just by reading the specs. So is networking addicting in a similar manner?

YES, and I have a problem. Most people wouldn't know it and probably won't identify with this statement but it is very true, and I think there might be a few people here that understand. Building a network is like sculpting a work of art. Granted any one can go out and buy a router and configure NAT or a Serial link, but it isn't until you understand the entire network and how it all gels together and how things at layer 2 can extremely affect things at layer 7 and vise verse. And to watch some one run voice and video on a network and have the gall to expect five nines out of the Ethernet Standard it just amazing to me. But to once again answer your question, YES.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.