Options

Break sequence not working

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just brought a 2950 off ebay. I'm trying to interupt the router boot sequence
by performing a break. I tried ctrl+break with hyperterminal that didn't work.
I also tried holding down the space key that didn't help. I tried Tera Term
with Alt+B that didn't help. Any suggestions? I'm trying to bypass the password.

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_22_ea2/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html#wp1260959
    Step 4 Reconnect the power cord to the switch and, within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED above port 1X is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until the System LED turns briefly amber and then solid green; then release the Mode button.

Stumbled me last week as well as id never reset a 2950.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    worked like a charmicon_smile.gif See that's why I like to work with real equipment.
  • Options
    kadshah wrote:
    worked like a charmicon_smile.gif See that's why I like to work with real equipment.

Yeh its important to practice with real world equipment.

Although sometimes the reset/default cycle is massively different per device, cisco white papers are as important as technet, juniper kb etc....use it well :)

Have fun Kadshah.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Pash wrote:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_22_ea2/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html#wp1260959
    Step 4 Reconnect the power cord to the switch and, within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED above port 1X is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until the System LED turns briefly amber and then solid green; then release the Mode button.

Stumbled me last week as well as id never reset a 2950.

Cheers,
    Well whaddaya know!

Just happened with me a couple of days ago as well and that exact same documentation is now sitting on my cache of helpful docs. icon_cool.gif

Hehe.. just thought i'd share for the purpose of... sharing icon_lol.gif
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RE: Break sequence for routers.

I'm using a Serial->USB converter, and it didn't seem to support the break sequence to get into rommon to password reset.

The trick I used was pulling out the flash simm so that it would default into rommon.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yukky wrote:

I'm using a Serial->USB converter, and it didn't seem to support the break sequence to get into rommon to password reset.

The trick I used was pulling out the flash simm so that it would default into rommon.

The break key sequence is dependent on the terminal program you are using, it should work without going to the extent of removing the flash modules.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    yukky wrote:

Hey bro! To add in my personal experience with it, I'm also using a usb to serial for the console cable using tera term pro as my term client. But following the instruction mentioned above (i.e. reconnecting the power while holding "mode" button) did the trick for me.

Oh but wait, you mentioned break sequence for a "router" on top of your post. Not sure what the difference is with the 2950 switch, but I'm assuming there is because I've had to recover passwords for a 3620 and a 2509 in the past 2 weeks and using alt+b worked for me with the setup I mentioned.

Well, just like Pash said, the experience you get with real equipment...
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah the break sequence on the switches involves the mode button.

You think its crazy on the 2900/2950's, you should try the Express 500-TT's

Talk about a piece of **** switch. You have to push the small reset button when its booting, but only after a light finishes flashing and then you have to plug a PC (has to be DHCP too) into port number one, and so on and so forth. It doesn't always work either.

Don't even get me started with the fact that there is not a console port, and when the switch is under load it tends to crap out so you can't even hardly access the GUI.........

Totally bogus if you ask me. I still am trying to figure out what Cisco was thinking with the Express series of switches.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    yukky wrote:

The break key sequence is dependent on the terminal program you are using, it should work without going to the extent of removing the flash modules.

Just to add to that:-

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/61.html

Standard terminal program break key sequences.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    phreak wrote:
    Yeah the break sequence on the switches involves the mode button.

You think its crazy on the 2900/2950's, you should try the Express 500-TT's

Never used an "express" switch before, are those like mini-versions of a regular catalyst switch? Personally, I think the password recovery for a PIX is pretty ridiculus.
    Jack of all trades, master of none