L1010 ATM Switch

qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
Hi Guys,

I have spare $$ and got the urge to splurge on an LS1010....but the questions is ...how beneficial is it to have in my lab? mind you I already have a lab comparable to Internetworks Experts Lab. I'm currently doing CCNP studies but also dipping into CCIE world...
If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
you intend to get across, then it is not focused
well enough.
—Charles Osgood, TV commentator

Comments

• mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ATM technology has been removed from the CCNP and CCIE Track (except DSL Technology)

However, ATM is in the Service Provider/CCIP track.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    great...you've justified my splurge :) ....although I shoudl have looked into it before asking...
    but thanks for the help :)
    well enough.
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep in mind that ATM is being phased out by the Bells.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    I have one too... Sitting in my home rack -- DOING NOTHING!!!!

3 x DSX T1's
    ATM Switch/Processor-B
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ATM links to ISP's such as OC3, OC12, etc... are actually quite expensive compared to metro-ethernet such a 100Mbps and GigE

Of course you may still run into ATM links in the field, but they are widely used in ISP backbones
    which are typically oc256 or oc768.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't waste your money. As others have said, ATM is on it's way out. My company is in the process of converting from ATM over SONET to Ethernet over SONET simply because ATM ports are roughly $16,234,491,562 more per interface than ethernet. Not only that but the QoS mechanisms of ethernet are much easier to implement and more robust than the features of ATM.

If your goal is to pursue the CCIE R&S before the CCIE Service Provider there's a strong chance ATM won't even be on the CCIE SP by the time you get around to it.

Your money would probably be better spent on a voice lab. Even a CCVP is worth its weight in gold right now. Everyone wants voice.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    icon_sad.gif and here I am all excited about ATM :) well I would have to change my plans and do voice... I was planning on dong R/S first before SP anyway ....either way go it'll be fun ;)
    well enough.