Options

office file conversion

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I have a doc file, made in either Word 2003 or 2007. I add page numbers as in, 1 of 5, 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc, etc...save the file; all looks good. Now I need to convert said file from doc to pdf. Office 2007 can do it, so can Adobe 8. Regardless of which method I use, the page numbers turn out like, 1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3, etc...I tried looking at options for both, but didn't see anything. I've never really used Adobe other than the reader, so I don't know all the options..maybe I'm missing something. I think it's an Office thing, because it happens if I open the doc in Word and convert it, and it also happens if I open Adobe and convert that way.

Any ideas???
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    You could give PDFCreator a try. Sounds like a Word problem though. Same thing happens in Excel?
  • Options
    It does not happen in Excel, only Word. I'm DL'ing PDFcreator right now, I will try that, but I think it may be a Word thing......I just don't know what thing.....
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hetty wrote:
    You could give PDFCreator a try. Sounds like a Word problem though. Same thing happens in Excel?

That's a good tip. PDF Creator installs like a printer, so if you can print it correctly, this will probably work for you.
  • Options
    It does not happen if I convert it through PDFCreator, only through Office or Adobe. I was told Adobe basically is taking a screenshot, not actually changing anything, and then creating the PDF itself. It must be some Office bug or option somewhere.....
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might need to recreate the document, and save to different filename.

Are you using 2007 or 2003? If 2003, then install SP3.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    I use 2007, the user who reported it uses 2003. All SPs are applied...I did notice that when using Word to convert, if I choose fully-functional PDF, the error occurs..if I choose simple PDF, it does not happen......
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you using to create the PDF? Adobe?

Try giving the 'Save As PDF or XPS' plug-in (free) for Office 2007 and give that a shot.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041&DisplayLang=en
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may also want to try CutePDF writer if none of the above works.

http://www.cutepdf.com/
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I already tried PDF/XPS plugin for 2007. That works fine for my machine....I also just found out that the user actually has Office 2000, not 2003....so I don't think that plugin would work for her.......
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Many PDF conversion tools, like PDFWriter and CutePDF, use GPL Ghostscript as the actual conversion engine. The version of GS included with many PDF converters is usually quite old. For example, the latest GS for Windows is v8.61, but CutePDF is distributed with the much older GS 8.15 (released in 2004). If you are having any problem with a Ghostscript-based tool, try updating to the latest release of GS.