Options

Need to send resume compressed?

GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
I'm trying to send my resume through Craigslist, but it says my resume size is too big.

What compression utility is good to use so my employer can click on it once and it will decompress for him/her?

Thanks
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Why is it so big? I would rewrite it in notepad or something to make it smaller for cases like this. The last thing you want is someone to not open it because of the extra step.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think if it was a .zip file almost anyone could open it without difficulty. The only thing to keep in mind is that .zip email attachments could be blocked by some email clients.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    You don't include your MCP logo, do you? icon_lol.gif
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah... WHY is your resume so big?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Let's start a TE forum pool and place bets on how big it is. I'm going with 12mb.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    dynamik wrote:
    Let's start a TE forum pool and place bets on how big it is. I'm going with 12mb.
    Nah, I reckon its a DVD of him reading his resume. 4.7Gb?
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Not sure why it would need to be so big. I would recommend shrinking the size of the resume instead. Even a two page .pdf or .doc file with text and some formatting should not be very large. Any pictures things would probably not be recommended for a resume, and neither would an essay.

Even you were to compress it to a self-extracting archive with an extension such as .exe it is likely to get blocked anyway. Even if it doesn't get blocked there is a high likelihood that the person on the other end won't run it for fear it is a Virus. There is also a chance it will look involved and they will not complete the extraction and see your actual resume.

There is a lot of software that can do this if you really want to, though I don't remember names of any of the free ones offhand. Personally I have a licensed copy of WinRAR that does it for me. I don't think it was very expensive but don't remember the price either. I think 7zip is one that was free, but I am not sure if it had the self extracting capability.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dont they get mad if the file size is over 500KB? you should be fine if its just text. That is of course its a 90 page resume :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    I include logos and the resume is size is small...

here are craigslists requirements...

1) total email size can only be 150KB
    2) no attachments can possibly contain executables(this means you can't send zip files, which could possibly contain zipped executables)

The problem is Craigslist only accepts 150KB files, and my resume is barely under the limit...
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I would double-check the logo resolutions and/or try sending it in PDF.

You would be amazed at the number of people who have sent me uncompressed TIFF images, raw bitmaps, and 3000x3000 jpegs because that's what their digital camera produces and their image program automatically puts it on the screen in the right resolution.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take out the logos.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    What's wrong with the logos?

Logos are legitimate and they verify you have achieved certification.
    Logos are official and only certified people can obtain them.

I like the Logos unless my employer hates them.

Have you heard of employers hating logos?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Goldmember wrote:

Nothing is wrong with logos (I use them sometimes), but if someone is having problems uploading/sending their CV because of their size, one thing to do is to reduce the size of the it, and one of the first things to do is to take out non-essentials like pictures/logos.

-Ken
  • Options
    Goldmember wrote:

1. True, I agree
    2. The problem with that is you can Google any logo you desire
    3. Yes, but its all dependent on the employer

If there is indeed a size limit issue, I say remove them, OR convert document to PDF as mentioned by others; just so you can submit your resume. I have no quaff with logos either way.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FYI - I haven't see a resume with any IT certification logo for long time. I don't recommend any logo to the resume, just keep it as professional looking on "black & white"
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I always thought that logos on your resume looked kinda tacky. As long as you write it on your resume then I think they get the point. If they want verification they can always later ask for your certificate or verify it digitally (like how Cisco does it)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    PDF is considered a perfectly acceptable document standard for sending CV's in. There is a program called PDFcreator which is free from sourceforge I believe.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    PDF is considered a perfectly acceptable document standard for sending CV's in. There is a program called PDFcreator which is free from sourceforge I believe.

yep! fantastic product!

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you want the logos on your cv, you could format the picture to 70-90% brightness to tone the logos down. Thats a personal choice but its less distracting to the rest of the content on your resume.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've updated my resume to no more than my name, email, phone number and the CCIE logo, no text required icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I've had some very positive comments about logos in the past.

I think logos look outstanding on resumes, especially the Cisco logos.

Maybe you can find them on google, but whoever goes to that resort would be lame.