PAETEC?

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone here have any experience with this ISP? We're thinking about moving our internet connection from a 15 Mb/s DS3 with Bellsouth to 20Meg Ethernet pipe. Basically it's copper ethernet handed off to fiber, then out to a sonet ring. For half the price.....

We have a couple references to follow up on but just wanted top see if anyone here has experience with this type setup. Good bad?

By the way Bellsouth or shall I say AT&T sucks. They're customer service and response time is horrible.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ATT is horrid. I deal with them on a daily basis because they do some sonet transport to one of our field CO's. They're so bad that we literally got out of the POTS resale business so we could stop dealing with them as much as we had to.

That being said, I don't work with PAETEC but I've heard from associates that they're quick to resolve problems. The internet also agrees that they have great customer support, good pricing, and their stock is doing okay so I'd say they're in good financial standing.

Have them turn up the circuit on a conditional 30 day trial to see if you want to purchase their services. Most providers don't have a problem with giving a service demo if the bandwidth exceeds a T1.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That would be a good idea, but we can't transfer our external IP scheme to their network. So if we change our ISP, that means we rework our entire external IP structure. That includes countless firewall policies, NAT, oh man I don't even want to think about it.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Netstudent wrote:
    That would be a good idea, but we can't transfer our external IP scheme to their network. So if we change our ISP, that means we rework our entire external IP structure. That includes countless firewall policies, NAT, oh man I don't even want to think about it.

A good outsourcing project btw...
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    We work with AT&T for T's & Metro-E and have never had a problem. Their response time is second to none in my experience.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Netstudent wrote:

It's a nasty thing to think about but networks re-number themselves all the time. In fact, it's often a good chance to do "spring cleaning" so to speak.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Yeah, we're in the process of re-IP'ing our 30+ remote clinics.
  • mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I built some of Paetec's infrastructure, but I won't take credit on thier iBGP configurations :)
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At my work we have about 30+ remote sites that have MPLS through Paetec, although our experience with them is only going on 3 months at the moment, so far we have had no downtime issues with these sites. The only issues that we have run into and this was only at 1 maybe 2 sites was an MPLS configuration issue, which they took care of.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A buddy of mine recently interviewed for them. Don't know if he got it or not. I hadn't heard of them before that.