Options

Packet tracer - router to router through WAN`

Spacer_08Spacer_08 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, first of all i hope this is the right place to post, sorry if it isnt.

Ok so im using Packet tracer 4 and I've created networks in which routers connect to routers via Serial DCE's blablaba and everythings fine, but now i want to simulate connecting routers over WAN.

What i want to do with PT4:

Connect Router A in City A to Router B in City B.

I've spent days trying to do this now but i just cant crack it. I've tried numerous WAN articles but nothing describes how to connect a router to the net in my scenario, and how the net or 'Cloud' deals with routing the packets.

P.S I've been through the Cisco packet tracer tutorials.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Options
    SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if u check under the packet tracer folder "saves" there are reference topologies that have clouds in them, if u dont have these i can maybe zip and send you
  • Options
    Hey Soul, thanks very much for that. I had no idea there were reference topologies and they look very usefull. The only one with a cloud is '9v1' but that also includes a serial DCE direct to each router.. which eliminates the point for me really.

8v1 has 4 routers all connected up via serial DCE (no clouds included). I assume this is a valid representation of a WAN but why arent they making use of the cloud component here? (sorry, im some what of a novice in this area).

Appreciate your help, thankyou!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Spacer_08 wrote:
    Hey guys, first of all i hope this is the right place to post, sorry if it isnt.

Ok so im using Packet tracer 4 and I've created networks in which routers connect to routers via Serial DCE's blablaba and everythings fine, but now i want to simulate connecting routers over WAN.

What i want to do with PT4:

Connect Router A in City A to Router B in City B.

I've spent days trying to do this now but i just cant crack it. I've tried numerous WAN articles but nothing describes how to connect a router to the net in my scenario, and how the net or 'Cloud' deals with routing the packets.

P.S I've been through the Cisco packet tracer tutorials.

Thanks in advance guys!

Spacer_08,

Questions:
    1. What model is Router A?
    2. What model is Router B?
  • Options
    Hey Tech, thanks for your help.

I havent decided on any exact router to use, but for arguments sake.. lets say router A and router B are both 2621XM routers each with a WIC-2T module installed.

Thanks again.