Options

The MS test prep that comes with the book -what's the deal??

cheesecouponscheesecoupons Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
First post.
I have been studying for about 5 weeks for the 70-270 with a self paced training center. I have been reading the MS book, doing the center's labs and practice test - focusing heavealy on their material (labs, videos, etc). Recently I used the Microsoft CD that came with the book. WOW the questions on this test are not the type or style that I have seen anywhere from the traing center. Specifically the part where you have 10 items on the left that they want you to move over in the correct order to the right hand side.
What is the deal with the Microsoft practice tests that come with the book? The training center I am using (no in-class time, weekly campus visits and I use the traing centers lab and test prep) I thought I was prepared because I was scoring high on the center's test prep questions (almost perfect) then POW sunk like a rock on the book prep material. So I was shocked when I saw the Microsoft test prep material. So what is the deal why are they so different??? :

Any thoughs etc would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tomiwatomiwa Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't get confused my friend. First of all, the Microsoft Prep test you found are not the actual exam tests. They are there for two reasons - 1. So that you will know the format in which the questions are asked. 2. To test your understanding of the book you're studying from.

Now as for the questions you've been doing on campus. Sounds to me like you've been memorizing the questions so I guess that's why you've been scoring high. Don't be fooled. You may get to the exams and find totally opposite of what you've been cramming.

From my tutoring experience, I suggest you take it easy. Study your book and Practice the Microsoft questions one section at a time. I suggest you read each chapter at least twice (yes I know it's a lot of pages). After each chapter practice the questions and see how many you were able to get right.

Both methods (The questions you do at campus and Studying your book thoroughly) should get you through the exam.

You may also want to focus on commands and syntaxes. :)
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Microsoft Press book and a Simple lab setup should be sufficient for this exam. I never used the testing tools on the CD but I believe the Practice tests are Measure Up tests? These are ok and will test you on a a variety of things but people tend to find these can be easier than the real exam. (This is up to personal use though some find it the other way round)

Just make sure you understand whats under the hood of XP (IIS, IPP, TCP/IP Setting, NTFS Permissions etc) Rather than just the day to day things and you should be fine.

Good Luck!

I would say most people find the test easier than they expected but you should still prepare well I dont want you coming back moaning at me if things go wrong, which im sure they wont :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm totally with you on this, the MS Press test exams are HARD! been doing the Transcender exams which I find to be a lot easier, although a lot of people are saying they are harder than the real life exam, guess the only way of knowing is by taking the actual exam itself, which I plan to do soon.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm with you, Mishra. I don't even install the Measure Up tests from the MS Press Books now. If I want a decent practice test, I fork out for Transcender.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    cheesecouponscheesecoupons Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:

Thank goodness I am not the only one. I think I am just about as hate filled as you over those icon_lol.gif Thanks for the link - we are not alone!
    I have also seen conflicting answers. I suppose I will just study, do the labs and give it a shot! I am trying for the MSCA and supposedly 70-270 is the easiest. Grrrr There is no way I am going to remeber everything in a book the size of a dictionary.

I dunno how people with 15 certifications behind their name do it! Tons to absorb and tough to know what areas to focus on.