Options

Your choice of the Host OS?

taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
What is your choice of the Host OS? What is it running on the host os beside VMware?

My host OS is XP SP2 with 3 Guest VM. All VM are Server 2003.

The Vmware is VMware Server 1.05.
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't really matter. Pick the one you use most often. If you regularly use XP for games, etc. stick with that. If you need the lowest amount of overhead, you could use Linux. However, you could also use Server 2003 and use that installation along with your VMs for you studies. Just play around with it and pick what works best for you.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You want to use a graphical host OS that's running as few unnecessary services (or daemons) as necessary to give the guest OS and hypervisor the most free memory and CPU cycles possible. Both XP and Vista require quite a bit of tuning to get them to run as small as possible. If you only want to run VMs and nothing else, then I'd suggest a very minimal distro of Linux with a graphical shell as the best choice.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Linux over here for my host os to server 2003 and xp.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    XP SP2 -- because sometimes you just shut off the VMs and play video games.
  • Options
    supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux host OS at home and Linux host OS at work.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Go with whichever you're comfortable with. It runs great for me on Windows 2003. If I knew linux better than Windows, I'd use it on that.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux at home and 2003 R2 server at work, just for the record, because really doesn't matter, as long as host O.S. is stable ;)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Debian Linux 64 bit works wonders.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Debian Linux 64 bit works wonders.
    so much so that OpenSUSE 64, Slackware 64 (slamd64), Sidux 64 or whatever else-linux works
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless I'm using the host for other things, I use a linux with nothing installed but what I have to have to run VMWare Server. At work, we use VMWare ESX which is linux.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...